Bucketcake W/ Real Bottles. How Do The Bottles Stay Up?

Decorating By nidinha Updated 17 Jun 2012 , 2:50am by nidinha

nidinha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nidinha Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hello,
I've made a cake in the shape of a silver bucket, it will be topped off w/ a couple of real corona bottles and sugar ice. i've seen other cakes like it posted here and thought it would be great for fathers day. the problem i'm having is how to position the bottles slightly tilted without it falling backwards. i've tried cutting out a bit of the cake and inbedding the bottle, and put a bit of curved plastic inbedded in the cake and behind the bottle for support, but that doesn't work either. anyone know how it's done?? thanks!

2 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 2:23am
post #2 of 3

You need to use some cut drinking straws to support the area where the bottles will sit.

You need to take a piece of cardboard the same size as the top of the solid cake (NOT the bucket edge). Wrap completely in foil. Lay it on top of your cake and drop onto it some icing.

Then build your ice cubes and beer bottles on that. Use the cubes or pieces of styrofoam to hold the beer bottles more or less at the right angle. Use LOTS of icing to glue down the bottles. Do not count on the side of the bucket to carry any weight.

And you may now understand why people usually make beer bottles out of hollow sugar. The other way is to make the cake completely hollow in the centre so that real beer bottles sit on the cake board instead of on cake.

nidinha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nidinha Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 2:50am
post #3 of 3

That makes sense. Treat it like a tiered cake. Thank you! This was sort of last minute so thats why I'm using real bottles. Next time I'll plan better and make sugar bottles. Thanks again BakingIrene!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%