First Birthday Smash Cake Recipe Ideas?

Baking By hellosweetcakes Updated 18 Jun 2012 , 7:12pm by vpJane

hellosweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellosweetcakes Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 7

I'm looking for a recipe that doesn't contain a lot of sugar that I can serve a one-year-old for her birthday. Most of the recipes I find are heavy, more the consistency of banana bread. Any thoughts on a more "cakey", low-sugar cake recipe?

I'd like to do a 4" or 6" cake decorated with fondant.

Thanks!

6 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 7

You could do a sponge cake with eggs, flour and sugar.

Or a chiffon cake that has some oil but is very light.

Many good recipes online using google. I make these from my 1950's vintage Good Housekeeping cake recipe book.

Either kind of cake will hold up the fondant on the small layer you describe.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 7

I'm sorry ,but I just don NOT understand why something as special as a b'day must be 'low/non sugar'. Really. It should be one time when one thows out the window all restrictions. I really have never understood that thinking.

JerryLINY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JerryLINY Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 1:03am
post #4 of 7

I second that motion/emotion!!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 1:06am
post #5 of 7

I agree with what has been said, and I also don't cover smash cakes in fondant. If you are looking for something lower in sugar, just use a whipped icing.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 8:20am
post #6 of 7

I agree about the smash cake. A better scratch cake, chemical free, is a good choice. A mother should obviously be able to control the amount of cake a one year old consumes. Babies, like adults, can partake in any basic, well-balanced cake as long as there are no allergies. Moderation in sweets should be started from birth.

It's just like people who are diabetic who ask about lower sugar cakes for big events. Every time I suggest that they enjoy a cake made well with fine ingredients and just have a smaller piece. In the end, every client has agreed with this choice. They remember the enjoyment of great taste more than the size of the piece. And their guests had great cake.

Babies won't be able to make the mess with a fondant covered cake. The buttercream is the stuff of great pictures.

I would stick with chocolate or vanilla, as these are the flavors of choice of children anyway.

vpJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%