Amount Of Frosting Needed For 700 Mini Cupcakes

Baking By LilIceT Updated 15 Jun 2012 , 3:53pm by BakingIrene

LilIceT Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 2

I was asked to make enough buttercream frosting for 700 mini cupcakes. I've never had to frost that many myself so I have no idea how much is needed. I am using the Wilton Buttercream Recipe which makes 3 cups. I was thinking of making 5x the recipe. is that too much or not enough? Any input would be helpful! thanks!!

1 reply
BakingIrene Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 2

Take a few cupcakes, and your measuring spoon set. Put icing onto them: 2 teaspoons, 3 teaspoons, 4 teaspoons onto different cupcakes to see how much is "enough".

That number per cupcake x 700 x 1.2 (insurance factor) is how many teaspoons of icing you will need. Divide by 48 (teaspoons per cup) to get cups.

OR do it by weight: weight of "enough" icing x 700 x 1.2 divided by weight of one batch of icing tells you how many batches.

If you are piping, then weigh the piped cupcake minus weight of nude cupcake. Weight diff x 700 x 1.2 is total weight. Divide by weight of icing.

My gut feeling (not knowing how big your minicakes bake up) is that one batch of your recipe gets you about 100 cakes decently covered. If you need to deliver the generously swirly top, you will use a LOT more icing.

And write this down so that you know how many cupcakes you can cover from one batch of icing, for future reference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%