How Do You Handle Cake Orders If You Get Sick?

Business By coleslawcat Updated 19 Jun 2012 , 3:22am by cai0311

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 12

I don't have a business yet, though someday I may. I am supposed to make a birthday cake for my niece. However, I just found out I have mono. Aside from feeling horrible, I don't want to risk getting anyone else sick. If this was anyone else I would call up BIL and apologize and suggest he pick up cake from a store. Unfortunately, my niece is casein free and it's not so easy for them to pick up a cake. It's just a 8 inch square cake, nothing too crazy for decorations, I can probably make myself do it. The question is should I? If I do I plan to wear a facemask while working on it, but I wonder if that will be enough.

11 replies
reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 12

I wouldnt risk it if you have mono. It is very contagious and I would hate to give someone mono, especially a kid. I know it will be hard to find a bakery that will do casein free but I don't think its worth the risk, sorry. Thats just my opinion though.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 12

I personally wouldn't do it but researching online I found that many states have no restrictions concerning food workers infected with mono.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 12

Well a face mask and disposable gloves will help for sure.

The US CDC says that saliva is the primary agent of transmission. Act accordingly.

In addition, I would run all baking pans, mixing bowls, spatulas, tools etc through a pan of hot water with 10% bleach added BEFORE you start mixing. Just in case.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 12

You don't quarantine people with mono...just exercise caution. Face mask, gloves...if you must sneeze, do it in another room and in the crook of your elbow. Sterilize your pans and wear gloves while doing it. Don't stick your finger in to taste something.
Mono is the 'kissing' disease because of the saliva exchange, so you can pretty well make certain there's no germs passed along as long as you do what you can to make everything sterile.

I once had to do a baby shower cake with a raging flu (not fun), but I did everything I described above and no one else got sick. thumbs_up.gif

coleslawcat Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the input. I'm going to woman up and make it tonight using the precautions mentioned. The good news is the cake itself is already baked and frozen, I did that prior to getting sick. I just have to do the buttercream and decorating.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 12

I wouldn't do it. They can buy gluten free cake mixes and do their own simple cake, with you giving encouragement and advice, should they wish.

pieceofcake561 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake561 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 12:41am
post #8 of 12

If you're not in business yet and it's just a favor then I think you should just tell them how you feel. I think I would rather be told than feel obligated to eat a cake made by someone who had mono. Is there someone else who may be able to make the cake if you instructed them? I had mono years ago and I can't even imagine trying to make a cake with mono... I actually had strep throat at the same time. Call them and ask what they'd like you to do. Hope you feel better!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 12

Oh, you hadn't mentioned in your first post that you've already baked the cake. In that case I would give them the cake and tell them to have fun by decorating it with the birthday girl. Kids love that job!

Personally, I would not eat anything that I knew was made by an ill person.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 12

I have had mono, so I understand how you feel. Every little thing makes to have to take a nap. It is so hard to get anything done.

First of all, take good care of yourself. I was in college when I got mono and I didn't rest like I should have. As a result, the mono and I will have to deal with each other for the rest of our lives. Three to four times a year the tiredness, sore throat and low grade fevers surface and knock me about for about 7-10 days. I know I have to rest during this time or I could get a full blown outbreak again. My doctor said this will be my life because I didn't allow my body to fully recover like I should have the first time around.

Second, mono is only contagious by saliva. You can't catch it just from being around someone with it. You have to either drink after them, eat after them or kiss them. Even then, some people will never get it. My husband has never had mono. For some reason, his body is able to fight the virus in a way mine didn't.

It is up to you if you want to decorate the cake or not. But decorating the cake (even if you had to bake the cake too) is not going to contaminate anyone, unless you start licking your fingers, spatula, bowl...and reuse without washing. That would be gross even if you didn't have mono, so I highly doubt you are just not going to do those things because of mono icon_lol.gif

I would suggest you ask the doctor. This way in the future if you have an order and you get hit with a small attack (like I do) you will know if you are okay or not do the order.

coleslawcat Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 11:06pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the advice. This is actually my second time having mono. Don't believe anyone who tells you that you can only get it once. I ended up doing the cake, but just a super basic buttercream frosting with border and "happy birthday". I skipped on the original plan to decorate it themed with gumpaste and fondant accents. I used a mask and I keep my kitchen sanitary so I'm not worried about the cake being contaminated. My doctor actually told me not to do it because it was way too tiring. It did knock me out, I mean walking to the bathroom from my bed tires me out right now, but I'm glad I got it done.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 3:22am
post #12 of 12

Actually, you can't get mono twice. Once you have it you never get rid of it. The virus goes dormant but is always there. So, you get the virus once and have it in your body for life.

The symptoms can manifest themselves over and over again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%