Deep Red Gumpaste Rose Woes

Decorating By ncsmorris Updated 16 Jun 2012 , 5:27am by heartsnsync

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 11:59am
post #1 of 6

So, I have made gumpaste roses before, but never a deep red/almost burgundy. What I tried yesterday was brushing powdered food coloring on a rose that I had already made. The color is gorgeous! But the problem is that it leaves resiue everywhere - every time I touch it, the color rubs off. Since this is going on a white wedding cake, I don't want the red to bleed everywhere. Would it work better if I first color the gumpaste as red as I can using traditional coloring methods and then paint the powdered color on afterwards (in hopes to use much less powder)? Or should I try mixing the powder with alcohol and painting the rose with liquid color? Airbrush? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks much!!

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 6

You should be using dusting powder. It has gum in it to make it stick to the petals properly.

Make the gumpaste a medium shade, dry as usual, then dust with the deep red dusting powder and steam to stick the dusting powder to the petals.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 6

It doesn't sound like you're setting the powder. Either steam it over a stove or with a clothing steamer -- lightly until it's shiny then set it aside to dry. Or you can dip it into confectioners glaze and let it drip dry.

By the way, the best "deep red" roses don't start from red gumpaste -- use pink gumpaste and dust with red petal dust -- you'll get a much richer color that way.

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

It doesn't sound like you're setting the powder. Either steam it over a stove or with a clothing steamer -- lightly until it's shiny then set it aside to dry. Or you can dip it into confectioners glaze and let it drip dry.

By the way, the best "deep red" roses don't start from red gumpaste -- use pink gumpaste and dust with red petal dust -- you'll get a much richer color that way.

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

I agree with this! I lightly steam mine. And when I've made red flowers out of gumpaste I use pink and then add red petal dust. The results are soo pretty!

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! I was thinking of trying to steam it, but I was afraid it would cause the flower to go limp. I'll give it a try!!

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 5:27am
post #6 of 6

To make deep red almost burgundy roses I color my fondant a reddish brick red and then when dry liberally dust with burgundy petal dust and then I steam them. The single long stemmed rose in my avatar is one I made this way. Once steamed it will not transfer color unless the surface you set it on is moist. So, for instance, you would not want to place your finished gum paste roses on a cake that has been refrigerated but has not yet come all the way back to room temperature - the condensation would do you in. Also, you even have to be careful of cakes that are kept in air conditioning and then placed at an event that is not air conditioned (like an outdoor wedding) as the cake can condensate then as well. Bottom line, dry finished steamed dark dusted gum paste pieces have to be placed on dry cake surfaces - follow that rule and you should have success. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%