Simple Decorating For Guy Grad Cake?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 15 Jun 2012 , 7:55pm by KoryAK

Wildgirl Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 4

I have a 2 layer 9x13 SW cake with chocolate frosting and filled with a nutella & cream cheese mixture (wow is that good!). So basically a rectangle chocolate cake. I have a little mortarboard hat I can put on top and was going to write "congratulations Matthew!" on it. There won't be a ton of room left, but what else can I do? His colors were purple and white. I have some purple sprinkles and white sanding sugar (on a chocolate frosted cake - that's what he wanted) - would sprinkling those around the top edge be enough? I don't know fondant enough to do anything with that - I will only have a little time late tonight to finish this. Any suggestions? Or just do the simple sprinkles?

3 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 4

"SW"? "Silver White" (a recipe in the old Betty Crocker cookbook)? Software? Shortwave?

Be that as it may, why not put your message onto something resembling a diploma? I don't think I've ever actually seen a diploma rolled up and tied with a ribbon, but that doesn't invalidate the archetypal (or maybe more stereotypical) image thereof.

Wildgirl Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 7:10am
post #3 of 4

Sorry - SW is Sylvia Weinstock -not really a necessary detail. We got home from work at 11:30 and by the time I got to working on the cake I kept hearing sirens - told dh to please take a peak outside as they seemed close.... well the neighbor across the street's house was on fire (TOTAL loss). So unfortunately it's now after 2 am and the cake is still not finished. (They were home, but are ok) I may have to simplify. Oh well. He wasn't expecting a party anyway. Sprinkles and icing squigglys will be nice. I'm too tired to think straight so will have to finish in the morning when everything else needs to be finished. I'm just glad no one was hurt.

KoryAK Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 4

Roll up a rectangle of fondant (I like to do it at a bit on an angle) and "tie" it with a skinny fondant snake in the school's colors and you have a nice, 2 minute, 3D diploma. That on one side, the hat on the other, and the inscription in the middle will be filled out nicely for a small cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%