Have You Baked In Your Teacups/ Coffee Cups

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 18 Jun 2012 , 8:07pm by theresaf

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a friend's bridal shower soon and to go with her coffee theme i picked up some different coffee cups from the local thrift store. I was going to just bake cupcakes and put them in the cups but thought it would be even easier to bake in the cup itself....

Being that these are all mixed, thrift store finds, I have no idea if they are considered "oven safe".

Has anyone done this before? Know of any ways to tell if this would work < id hate to ruin the cups at the last minute>. I only bought cups that were fairly dense, nothing like a light china teacup feel. I attached a photo of the cups I ahve found... I don't know if that would actually help.

What do you think?
LL

5 replies
soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 12:21am
post #2 of 6

Should be good to go. I bake in all sorts of heat proof ceramics & pyrex...cups, mixing bowls, measuring jugs etc. The only trouble I had was the cake shrunk away from the sides when cool. The gap was a good spot to drizzle some fruity filling. Try a couple ahead a time if possible.

pbuder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbuder Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:15am
post #3 of 6

Take a look at this fellow CCer's blog. She made molten chocolate cakes in the mugs. Haven't tried it myself but it looked very decadent.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/tag/chocolate-2/

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 11:59am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuder

Take a look at this fellow CCer's blog. She made molten chocolate cakes in the mugs. Haven't tried it myself but it looked very decadent.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/tag/chocolate-2/

Those are very nice. But microwaving and baking in an oven are not the same.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 6

What a clever idea! I can't wait to see your end results.

It would also be nice to do these in new mugs so that the mugs could be the guests' party favors. (if you were throwing the shower, that is)

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 6

I've made cakes in coffee cups before (in my gallery with a box of candy-cake). I bought white oven-safe mugs at BedBathBeyond with a 20% coupon.(The only way to shop there!) They had a nice shape but the mugs aren't anything fancy to look at, since they are just white. Sprayed with a little canola oil spray first and they pop right out. I didn't serve in the mugs, I tried different ways of attaching a handle (parts of choco-covered pretzel).
Good luck!
Theresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%