New Cottage Food Law Requires Labeling - Question...

Business By sweetscene Updated 16 Jun 2012 , 9:08pm by sweetscene

sweetscene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetscene Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 5

Hey, first off, very excited that the Cottage Food Law passe din SC and i'm good to go. Reviewing and learning and all that. One requirement is labeling of ingredients in order of weight. My question is - one or two of my best recipes have a base of cake mix with added ingredients to that. How do i put that in the ingredient label? do i put "1 Duncan Hines White Cake Mix"? any input welcome. Thanks.

Sarah

4 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 5

You must start from the ingredients list on the cake mix box. You can also use the nutritional info box to tell you how much fat, sugar, etc there is in the full box of mix.

Then you have to recalculate with your extra ingredients. And because the cake mix has some additives, all of that will appear on your final label.

No it's not simple...I guess that's one reason that a lot of people are suddenly asking for scratch recipes. I expect that sooner or later there will be an app where you plug in the brand name, the addins, and you get the right label.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 5

This is not easy! Inspectors and regulating agencies have their own preferences so I suggest you ask how they prefer the label is written. My inspector said to count the weight of the boxed mix as an ingredient, and then look at the weights of the other ingredients such as eggs, oil, water, etc. For the mix, write xxxCakeMix and then in parentheses copy the label on the box. Your ingredient label is going to be verrrry long.

Aimeesc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimeesc Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 5

I use the following site to calculate my recipes, it gives me a per serving calorie content, etc.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

Many of their ingredient lists are brand specific products as well, so they may have the box mixes you use.

sweetscene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetscene Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the info. i need to peruse the law some more. It does say list by weight, i do remember that much... my labels are going to require some very fine print... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%