My Near Cake Disaster. Could I Have Done Something Different

Decorating By mplaidgirl2 Updated 15 Jun 2012 , 7:42am by mplaidgirl2

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 12

I made this wedding cake for June 2nd.
It was an outdoor wedding in the middle of the day.
It was about 75-82 degrees through the day.
Folding table on grass (Everyones favorite)
I talked them out of all perishable filling and anything that would be unstable.
Stacked and supported the cake the way I always do. with double cake boards and thick platic dowels. 1 dowel straight through the center.

The cake started to lean about an hour before the cutting.
It didn't fall thank god...

Do you think it was soley the enviroment?
Or did I do something wrong.

The bride won't tell me it was leaning.
She just keeps saying everything was wonderful.
But one of her guests let me know.

I really just dont want it to happen again. So I'm looking for advice.

The link is the cake before the lean.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2347747/round-wedding-cake

11 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 12

Lovely lovely cake.

The problem was the two top tiers.

For a cake that will sit outdoors, I would ONLY agree to build four tiers proportioned like the bottom two. The extra-thick one might not have been supported enough by the dowels underneath.

But it could also have started to lean over because of the table. Did you use a carpenters level to make sure it would hold the cake dead flat?

Or maybe the table was bumped by guest(s) who tried to get a better look at the cake...

mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 12

I did use a level on the table. It was off so we tried pushing the legs on one side more into the ground. I did all the set up and 30 minutes later checked the level and it was still good. I have a feeling the guest could have been a problem too. They had the table too close to the entrance. I didn't even think the double 8inch would be a problem. But not that I think about it I think she said it was only the top 1/2 that leaned so that could have been the issue.
Thank you so much for the input

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 12

But isn't that really a 5 tier cake that happens to have two 8" tiers (one on top of the other)?

By the way, the cake is lovely.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 12

For the tall tier: did you have it as one 8" tall cake or as two 4" tall cakes iced together as one with supports in between? If as the former, that could very likely be your problem and and easy fix for next time.

I would also not recommend pressing legs into the ground but rather shimming up the shorter legs with napkins, card stock, wood - whatever you have. The table linen should cover it and then there's no chance of it sinking further.

Joni1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joni1962 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 12

Cake was beautiful. Just watched a video by Sharon Zambito and she stated any cake over 3 tiers that she places 2 wooden dowels thru. The first one goes thru 3 tiers and a little to the side and the heavier/thicker dowel goes all the way thru all tiers and is anchored in an 1/2 inch foam board duck taped to the base. I have never made a wedding cake, but have all her videos and everytime I watch them I learn something new. Just finished watching successful stacking. Thanks, Joni

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 12

Lovely cake.

I see a lot of potential issues that would lead to lean--mostly the environment.

Gravity is a #$%&@. Heat is a $%^&*. Put them together, equals a giant $%^&*.

The legs of the table could have continued to sink due to the weight on the table over time. No reason to believe that the sinking would keep it level.

The non-substantial card table could have easily been vibrated or bumped by passersby.

Even if the ambient temp is 75-82F, the sun may have been on one side for just long enough to soften things.

For the cake, I'd think that the biggest potential culprit would be the double tier. If it didn't have a board and supports halfway up.............it was the weak link.

Rae

cureVHAandCF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cureVHAandCF Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 12

I just have to say, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE that cake!!!! Great job! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 12

........ did all the set up and 30 minutes later checked the level and it was still good....feeling the guest could have been a problem...had the table too close to the entrance. I didn't even think the double 8inch would be a problem. But not that I think about it I think she said it was only the top 1/2 that leaned so that could have been the issue....

I bet it was a combination of enviroment & guests.
And you're last statement really shows that it most likely was that extra tall tier. It looks like the decorations are heavy. If the support wasn't really, really good and maybe the table was bumped, then it could have caused it to lean.
One tip: Don't rely on a central dowel icon_sad.gif They are only suppose to help stablize a cake durring transportation. I hope you did not leave it in the cake once set up. I always removed it & covered the hole w/a flower, leaf or somesuch. Leaving it in makes it very difficult for someone to cut icon_sad.gif

mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:12pm
post #10 of 12

I supported the cake tall tier every 4 inches. It was 8 inches tall on its own. Thank you everyone for the kind words and advice. I actually traveled with it partialy unstacked. The 12 and 10 were stacked. The 8 tall was by itself and the 6 was by itself and I put it all together when I got there. I left the dowel in but showed the person that would be cutting it how to get it out. I have a feeling it was probably a guest and thats why the bride didn't want to say anything. But I guess you learn something new everyday! Thanks again everyone!!

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 12:03am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cureVHAandCF

I just have to say, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE that cake!!!! Great job! icon_smile.gif

So would I lol... I have no input but that is one beauty you made there icon_biggrin.gif

mplaidgirl2 Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 7:42am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaJai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cureVHAandCF

So would I lol... I have no input but that is one beauty you made there icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%