I Need Help On A Decorating Idea For Wedding Cake Plz?

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 6 Jul 2012 , 9:13pm by jenscreativity

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 40

Hello to all!

Ok, so I attached 2 pics, one being the cake she wants, and the other being her program ! I wanted to know if I should make the stars all of the red, blue and purple in EACH star OR alternate the stars of their own color in those colors? This is for July 4th? I'm not sure what would look better? Can you help me please? Thanks!

Jenifer
LL
LL

39 replies
MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 40

I think it would look great if all the stars were all the colors. I'm beginning to think that a bunch of colors spaced around on the cake takes away from it looking like a wedding cake and more like a birthday cake. Have fun- this looks like a fun design!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 40

Talk to the bride. Maybe use 2 colors instead of all. If there are colors that actually match the dresses. I would lean towrds those first. I would be so tempted to also add a tier with lines on it.

abigel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abigel Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 40

Wow i love cakes..i need some ideas to make my cake more attractive by making decoration with help of creams and other ingredients..please give some innovative tips and ideas...thanx

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 40

I think I would gradient my color in each star just slightly, lighter being in the center and darker as it gets closer to the edge. That would make them "pop" a little more . Just a thought.

jenscreativity Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 40

I LOVE everyone's advice! Even to have a striped tier but wouldn't know where to put it. Top/bottom/middle..it's only 3 tiers. Also, I will put all colors in one then, then do the lighter in middle and darker on outside of it. Is this royal icing you think? It looks it, but ideas on what to use for sugar would be great as cake will be fondanted.

Also, none of these ideas will look tacky right? Bride wants to make sure..Thanks everyone and let me know what you think in my other above questions..sorry just want it to be really nice, but wedding style.

Jenifer

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 40

When I saw the invite my 1st thought was do each color seperate all around the tiers, but the more I picture the others advice the more I agree w/them icon_smile.gif
I'm not a fan of the stripe idea.....but, of course, that's just me.

jenscreativity Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 40

In the pic, are the fireworks piped in royal icing you think? If not, then what?? It will be a hot day, so you think they will be ok to hold up on wedding day? My cake is due in a few days,,so I want to make sure I do these stars right. The colors are red, white, and teal blue color and how do I pipe those you think? Help! NOt sure how to pipe this with all 3 colors in one! Please help me asap! Thanks!

neekole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neekole Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 40

id ask the bride just to be sure because she might already have an idea set in her head

jenscreativity Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 40

Well, the pic of cake is up top of what she wants,,so I need to figure how to pipe this..I don't think bride would know..so any ideas on how to do this please? Thanks!

lilbitacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilbitacake Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 40

Just make that you pipe the royal icing on fondant and not on buttercream. I made the mistake of piping RI on BC and the RI melted down the side of the cake. The grease in the BC breaks down RI. If of are using BC to ice the cake just use BC to make the fireworks.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 40

They look like a piped chrysanthemum that are pulled to a point as you pull the pastry bag away. It is not necessarily RI. Could just be a nice stiff American buttercream.

Google how to pipe a chrysanthemum and try different tips, starting with a fluted tip, the sort of half-round one. Practice a few on parchment first, but it should come quickly and easily.

The way to keep this elegant is to spend the extra time and effort delicately shading the flowers with the colors.

Looks like it will be beautiful.

jenscreativity Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 40

Ok, I'm having trouble finding a tip to make this above attached design on cake! This cake is due in 2 days! SOmeone PLEASE help me ASAP as I'm working on this right now! I can't figure out which tip to use!

Please help asap!
Thanks
Jenifer

jenscreativity Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 10:15pm
post #14 of 40

please somebody help asap! I'm stressing ..thanks so much!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 10:15pm
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

I can't figure out which tip to use!

For the flower?

No tip... just cut a parchment bag to a point by snipping off a little on the right and the left.

jenscreativity Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 11:02pm
post #16 of 40

ok, is the leaf tip same or no? Thanks so much

CWR41 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 11:08pm
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

ok, is the leaf tip same or no? Thanks so much

No. It has a seam/vein down the middle.

jenscreativity Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 11:29pm
post #18 of 40

Oh, ok! SO I'll try it in a minute..thank you!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 12:13am
post #19 of 40

Just in case you didn't notice, those fireworks are on a fondant or gumpaste disc matched to the icing. I've never had Royal Icing melt on buttercream, but then I don't use it much. The disc would be a good barrier to buttercream if that was an issue.

It's kind of late to be doing this kind of practicing this close to the date of the wedding, but I would sure get on some YouTube tutorials that can show you exactly how to pipe this!

jenscreativity Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 12:43am
post #20 of 40

Yes, I knew that it was fondant..and i'm using RI to make ahead..I'm working on it..icon_smile.gif just pray for me..thank you

jenscreativity Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 1:32am
post #21 of 40

crw41: I did this but how do you pull it into a point? so frustrated!

please help me !

jenscreativity Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 2:26am
post #22 of 40

This pic is rough draft of one..I'm soo frustrated..help me figure out how to look pretty for wedding..this looks like CRAP!!
LL

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 2:57am
post #23 of 40

I don't think you're going to get the same look piping those flowers - I'm pretty sure they are gumpaste. Petals cut out, cupped slightly with a ball tool and then sugar glued onto a disc of gumpaste. Is that not a possibility? Good luck - I'll be rooting for you!

Beheeka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beheeka Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 2:58am
post #24 of 40

Maybe you can try making bursts like this and stacking them on top of each other starting from large to small.
http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/4th-of-july-cake.html

Beheeka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beheeka Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 3:09am
post #25 of 40

Here is a tutorial for a fondant mum that looks similar to the picture of the cake.

http://bakingdom.com/2011/11/perfectly-pinterest-thanksgiving-caramel-filled-brownies-easy-fondant-mums.html

CWR41 Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 4:19am
post #26 of 40

Looks like you cut the tip too big or have a heavy hand when squeezing. You should snip the tiniest "V" off the end of your parchment bag. Try it again with only a 1/8" depth cut to the end. It will also work with a 1/4" depth cut, but you'll need to pipe quicker without such a heavy hand while pulling it out to a point instead of staying on it too long forcing the base to look more leaf-like.

Also, pipe on a large square of waxed paper that's attached to a flat-head rose nail. It will make it easier to twirl as you pipe each petal and layer rather than trying to pipe this way and that.

If all else fails and you still can't get the delicate look, you might consider using the "C"-shaped tip #81, but the petals won't look pointed... they'll be tapered into a narrow petal, yet still rounded on the tips. You'll be able to pull them out longer than shown here:
http://www.wilton.com/technique/Chrysanthemum-Mum

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 9:57am
post #27 of 40

Try cutting a smaller v into the end of your bag. Cut out a circle of gumpaste slightly smaller than you want the finished burst to be a gradually layer hint petals starting on the edge of the circle and pulling away sharply. Move clover to the centre of the circle for each layer. Tint the petal tips with dust getting darker on the outer petals.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 11:49am
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani1081

I don't think you're going to get the same look piping those flowers - I'm pretty sure they are gumpaste. Petals cut out, cupped slightly with a ball tool and then sugar glued onto a disc of gumpaste. Is that not a possibility? Good luck - I'll be rooting for you!

I agree with this. If your bride is expecting the same as the cake you showed above, you will have to make something that will project upwards off the sides of the tiers (notice how one flower sits up higher than the top of the top tier?)

Those petals look almost translucent, therefore I believe they're made from a well-dried fine pastillage, or are even paper craft flowers (similar to origami dahlias).

I hope this helps icon_smile.gif don't forget to post pics of your cake when it's done! I'm keen to see how your colour combinations went! It's definitely a bit out of the ordinary, being married on 4th July!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

jenscreativity Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 12:07pm
post #29 of 40

Ok , so Mckaren, you mean start off with gumpaste(white), then use the RI icing in red and teal color to top it off?

Ok, so I'll try and cut a smaller V, CWR41, and try that..

ALSO, how would I layer the colors you think? I understand about the softness and all, but should I layer alternating the colors? I really want to get the colors looking pretty, not tacky like that pic I just posted..
SO if someone can tell me how to layer the colors , that would be awesome..so stressed out as I didn't think this was going to be that difficult.
If needed, I can use gumpaste/fondant in these colors and make petals and attach..but that is a lot of work and if I could use the RI instead(already made), it's better, but whatever it takes. Maybe if I use the fondant or gumpaste, I can layer with the cryysanthemum cuttter(I'll have to buy if needed)??

I just need to figure out how to get the colors to blend besides the softness..so layer each color or do just the 3 colors(1st white, 2nd and 3rd(red/blue)) ??

PLEASE keep helping me as Youtube does NOT have any examples of help on this..errrr..

This cake is due tomorrow and I have all day to mess with this so, I know I can do this..with your help mainly..Thanks to all!

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 12:57pm
post #30 of 40

http://www.123rf.com/photo_3678422_single-red-and-white-chrysanthemum-with-blue-background.html

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/carrotparrot/5158671547/

Try a mix of these two: only colour the tips but colour 4 or 5 petals next to each other instead of individual petals or a whole layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%