I Need Help With Marshmallow Fondant!!!!

Decorating By nicoleberkley Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 10:25pm by Spooky_789

nicoleberkley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoleberkley Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 3:55am
post #1 of 7

I seem to be having a very difficult time with marshmallow fondant. I am VERY new to all of this and am planning on making a relatively simple two tier birthday cake for my daughter in July. I wanted to practice it several times before I actually have to make the cake come July... and I am glad I decided to do that cause it is seriously kickin' my butt! I have the fondant made and colored and it looks great so far. My problem is rolling it out evenly to where one part of the fondant is not thinner than another. When that happens, obviously lifting it off the counter is a nightmare because the thinner spots tear. It is so thin you can see through it and I don't want it to be like that. I don't want to be able to see cake under the fondant. I also don't really understand how I am supposed to get the fondant from the counter to the cake without tearing it or messing it up. I don't have money (right now) to go out and buy some fancy tool to help me move it so can anyone tell me what the good ol' fashioned way of transferring it would be? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!! I am dying here!!
THANK YOU!
Nicole

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 4:28am
post #2 of 7

You can roll it out on a cardboard cake circle dusted with powdered sugar. Shake the circle occasionally to make sure it isn't sticking, then slide it off on your cake. If your cake is an 8" round (4" tall), you'll need to roll it on a 16" circle. It helps to know at what size you can stop rolling it out so you don't continue rolling a piece out too thin that's much larger than needed.

JACrellin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JACrellin Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 4:30am
post #3 of 7

Do you at least have some sort of rolling pin? there is a special rolling pin just for fondant that is like 5-8 bucks at hobby lobby or micheals, and you can use 40% off coupon. But a regular rolling pin should work just fine. When i roll my fondant out i roll it until the rolling pin starts to make lines in the fondant, it should still be pretty thick at this point, then i put more powdered sugar on the top and i use my hand and in a circular motion i even out the thickness, the fondant should evenly start to lay out, i use large circular and small circular motions until it is pretty even everywhere. you want your fondant a little thick, so you need more than you think you need. Then dust more powdered sugar on the top, grab your rolling pin, set it gently in about the middle of your rolled out fondant and fold the fondant over the rolling pin. Then quickly and gently lift it off the counter and on to your cake! I hope this makes sense! Good luck!! Check out youtube as well there are a lot of tips and tricks to help you as well! Best of luck!

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 6:04am
post #4 of 7

how thick do you roll your fondant? if 1/4 of an inch go get two wooden dowels (they're like 25 cents a piece) and use that as your measuring thingamajigs I do this for my fondant, and my cookies. They're food safe since they're made to go in cakes anyway. Quick cheap and easy icon_smile.gif

As far as transferring I use a mat icon_smile.gif

jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 11:38am
post #5 of 7

The bigger rolling pin at Michaels which is made for fondant is actually like $20.00, but you can still use the coupon and it's worth it because it has guide rings on it so it helps with getting the fondant even all over.

I've tried the Mat several times and I've had no luck with it. Especially with MMF. Other people swear by it and I wish I had their success with it as it does seem to start off easier, but I can't get it off the mat without it stretching and then eventually tearing. I use the old dust the top of the fondant with cornstarch, roll in around the rolling pin, then unroll it over my cake technique. It's the only thing that works for me. Good luck!

3beautygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3beautygirls Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawoops

The bigger rolling pin at Michaels which is made for fondant is actually like $20.00, but you can still use the coupon and it's worth it because it has guide rings on it so it helps with getting the fondant even all over.

I've tried the Mat several times and I've had no luck with it. Especially with MMF. Other people swear by it and I wish I had their success with it as it does seem to start off easier, but I can't get it off the mat without it stretching and then eventually tearing. I use the old dust the top of the fondant with cornstarch, roll in around the rolling pin, then unroll it over my cake technique. It's the only thing that works for me. Good luck!

I have the Mat and love it... especially since my counter top is textured so rolling out fondant on it, it always sticks and picks up the texture of my counter LOL...

I use Marshmallow fondant and it works great with my mat... I do usually grease it up before each use even though it says you don't have to, I've had it stick a few times...

Fondant is one of those things that it just takes practice.... and practice... icon_smile.gif good luck!

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 7

Be sure to put down plenty of corn starch as you are rolling out your fondant. After you've rolled a bit, lift the edges, dust again, turn it 90 degrees, then roll some more and repeat, until you get it large enough to cover your cake. Lifting it then should be relatively easy as it shouldn't stick with the corn starch under it.

As far as getting it rolled out in the same thickness, that truly does just take practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%