Bride Never Showed For Wedding Consultation

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 16 Jun 2012 , 1:53pm by Bluehue

Pearl645 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 14

So last week Thursday a lady called asking when next I had a wedding cake consultation available. Her wedding is on July 7th ..3 1/2 weeks away. I told her to come Sunday at 10am. She said she would call back. Never heard from her. She calls Sunday afternoon asking if I was there if she could come. I said no bcuz I was not there and was doing other cake work. She called Monday and made an appt for today (Wed) at 10am. She calls 20mins before to say she is stuck in rain traffic and will be there just after 10. 10.30 I call and she doesn't answer. My business partner says to wait till 11am. No show or call from her at 11 so I left to do deliveries and get supplies for other orders. She calls 11.30am with attitude saying she was late bcuz of rain traffic and asked where I was. I was on the road. She then proceeds to ask when next she and her fiance could meet with me. I simply told her I didn't think I was able to help her. This is a very busy month and when I am kept back my customers orders are kept back. She didn't understand.

My thing is, I got bad vibes from her from the 1st call. She kept asking about what I had to taste. People who I have actually gotten wedding cakes from weren't primarily concerned with taste. They wanted to meet and see how I could help them. Also, I didn't like how she didn't keep her word with time.

Do you use your gut feeling and intuition with people who want to meet for wedding cakes? I don't know most of these ppl who come to my home but for some of them I do get a gut feeling something isn't right here. How do you handle this when you get that strange gut feeling?

13 replies
cai0311 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 14

When my gut tells me I don't want the person for a client I simply tell them I am unavailable at this time. She doesn't have to know why you are no longer available - just that you can't take on her order anymore.

She sounds like trouble. No one needs trouble.

SoFloGuy Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 14

Don't even deal with her. People who tell you they are 20 minutes away and don't show up for an hour, and you try to call them back and they don't answer are trouble. People want to lie to you and then get mad at you when they are at fault.

If you get bad vibes trust your instincts. I don't think because she was concerned with taste as a big issue. She's is probably scrounging around last minute because she already messed up on other cake plans that fell through. Usually if a person is looking for a wedding cake with less than a month to go that should start to send up red flags.

The worst part is she knows where you live. I don't know what people do but I would verify emails and phone numbers before I give my address.

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 14

I totally turn down orders when I don't appreciate either lateness, excuses, cancelled appointments, no-shows and just plain stupidity and bad attitudes. And penny pinchers! Don't show up in an Escalade and expect me to feel sorry for your financial situation!

3beautygirls Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 14

I don't have a cake business, but I do run a home daycare and it goes the same way, you always have a gut feeling about people and usually that instinct is true... if something feels off it probably is!

sweettreat101 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 14

Go with your gut feeling. I tell them that I am all booked up for that date. I would just politely tell her that the opening you had on that date was booked and maybe suggest another bakery. I usually send them to a local bakery. The woman that owns this bakery doesn't take crap from anyone. She's from Germany and boy does she have a temper. I have seen and heard her talk and yell at people. I'm surprised she's still in business. Her husband is really nice but she's scary.

DeniseNH Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 14

I agree, trust your gut - if you were wrong - you get a day off - which isn't bad at all icon_smile.gif The reason she's in a panic about her cake is probably because she's already ticked off three other decorators. She already has no respect for your time and by the way taste tests are necessary in most areas - as most brides want the cake to taste as good as it looks.

SoFloGuy Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 14

And next time when someone says I"ll be there in 20 minutes tell them, good because in 30 to 45 minutes I have to leave and make an important delivery. Since they are lying they will come up with another reason that they won't make it in time. Sometimes things happen, but there is no reason for her to not have answered your call when you called back. You can't be responsible for other people's problems. Sometimes people are trying to get one over on you and they test you out to see how far they can take advantage of you.

Pearl645 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 14

Everyone here gave me really good advice. I feel more confident now how to approach this type of client if he / she every comes up again. Thanks for taking the time to help me solve this situation.

KoryAK Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 14

I agree with what everyone else already said. I did want to mention though that, in an of itself, a customer primarily being concerned with taste isn't that crazy - you are selling food after all! icon_smile.gif

Pearl645 Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 14

True. Do you all bake and freeze cupcakes in different flavours and keep them frozen until someone comes for a wedding cake consultation?

SoFloGuy Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 3:13am
post #12 of 14
Originally Posted by Pearl645

True. Do you all bake and freeze cupcakes in different flavours and keep them frozen until someone comes for a wedding cake consultation?

that's an interesting question, maybe you should start a new thread and ask it.

tbkimber Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 4:14am
post #13 of 14

If you type in "tastings" in the search box in the forum section you will find many postings on this subject. There is a ton of good information there.

Bluehue Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 1:53pm
post #14 of 14

I believe we are all born with our own *6th sense* - for a bloody good reason.
To listen to it - and adhere to it.

Some call it a *gut feeling* - again - its that *something* inside of us telling us to pay attention.

As the saying goes if it don't feel right....then it won't be right.

It is in us all .....................some just don't listen.
Glad you are.... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%