Sand For Sand Castle Cake???

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 7 Dec 2012 , 5:02am by poey223

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 12

My daughter is undecided whether she wants a cake with sea shells or just a sand castle cake for her party coming up soon. Have been looking at the sand castle cakes wondering just how in the world it is possible to achieve the sandy look on the entire cake?? I do realize it is either brown sugar, crushed graham crackers, or even crushed sugar cookies. I can see how I would easily spread it onto the top parts of the cake, but the sides? How?

Tips, suggestions, etc. are ALL welcomed, too. THANK YOU!!!

Also, I seen a really GORGEOUS cake on flickr yesterday with clear teal colored sugar coral on it. Does anyone know how to do this method? If you would like to see it, I think it is called Sugar Coral Cake. Sorry, Ive yet to figure out how to post pictures on here, Ive tried many times.

Crystal

11 replies
Leauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leauna Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 12

I would just color the frosting or airbrush it a sand color and then use crushed graham crackers for he top. That is how I did my Thor cake.

Good Luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 12

Hi, i have use the pure cane sugar(lite tan color) on cakes for sand. If the pic i am posting is the coral one you talk about. That is done with melting isomalt or regular . sugar. There are tutorials over the internet helping with this method. Youtube , i am sure. hth

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tineysbakeshop/4661944514/

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 12

I haven't made a castle cake, but I've covered cakes in "sand" before. I cover in fondant, as usual, then paint on piping gel. After that, I press on graham crumbs and they stick to the piping gel. This method had always worked for me. Here's a link to a pic of a cake I made recently using this method on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.199134953456904.41914.199121133458286&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=365445656825832&set=a.199134953456904.41914.199121133458286&type=3&theater

Lagasse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lagasse Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 2:22am
post #5 of 12

I have never actually done sand on a cake as I am still just starting out with cake decorating but I have done a lot of research on a lot of different subjects and have seen brown sugar mixed with a small amount of regular sugar to break it up and give it a little more crystalizing to it. Not sure if it works or not but might be worth mixing up a small amount and seeing how it turns out. Best of luck and please let us know what you come up with and how it turns out.

JACrellin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JACrellin Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 4:52am
post #6 of 12

Definitely color your buttercream a tan color, white just wont look natural enough. Then try using super fine crushed graham crackers and brown sugar. Mix them together it will create a lot of different color tones just like sand! Then you will need to tip your cake just a bit and you will have to sprinkle it on immediately after frosting it. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 12

THANK YOU, for ALL of the comments. Here goes.....

Prayers, too, please.....BUSY week ahead....cake, seahorse & sea shell sugar cookies, octopus marshmallow pops, peanut butter fudge starfish, fondant sea shells....

Thanks,
Crystal

Leauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leauna Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 12

Make sure you post a picture! I want to see the end result icon_smile.gif

poey223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poey223 Posted 4 Dec 2012 , 1:43am
post #9 of 12

Depending on the color I need for the sand, I will either use crushed graham crackers or crushed Nilla Wafers. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Dec 2012 , 2:13am
post #10 of 12

crushed graham crackers mixed with a bit of sparkling sugar so that it has a little shine.

Delightfulbites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delightfulbites Posted 4 Dec 2012 , 2:19am
post #11 of 12

AGolden Oreos or store brand equivalent ground up in food processer makes beautiful "sand"!

poey223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poey223 Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 5:02am
post #12 of 12

I love that idea..thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%