They Never Cut The Wedding Cake- Very Odd!

Decorating By MerlotCook Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 1:02pm by MerlotCook

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 9

I had a bride who I'd been talking to about a wedding cake for 3 months. I gave her the quote and it was too expensive for her; we decided to scale down the servings so she could afford it. I did not like the design she wanted (in my photos, part chocolate, part vanilla on the outside), but the cake turned out nicely. I contacted the chef and the venue, who told me they used the groom's cake (carrot) for the pictures and to her knowledge they never cut the wedding cake. This cake was for 150 people and they never ate it??!!

I know this is a rant- sorry! I have never heard of somebody not using the wedding cake for pics, and not cutting it has me in awe. I am just waiting for them to want a refund!!

8 replies
HalifaxMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HalifaxMommy Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 9

I find it odd that she originally couldn't afford the cake she wanted so scaled it down but had a groom's cake as well.

3beautygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3beautygirls Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 9

I took a look at the cake, you did a great job even though the chosen design is a little odd... maybe they found it was too big to take pictures with??? Who knows... you did a great job though!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:26am
post #4 of 9

You delivered their cake of choice to the venue in excellent shape...they are NOT going to ask for a refund.

Why didn't they choose to cut it there? Ask them if they contact you. Maybe they should have been honest with themselves about not needing two cakes...

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:45am
post #5 of 9

The cake is perfect, odd in design and color combination but it's straight, the side designs are spaced evenly and the topper matches everything else in color. If you get a call from them it should be to thank you for doing the cake in the style they wanted. Who knows why they didn't cut it - they bought it so I guess they can do - or not do anything they want with it??????? People are funny. Not funny - haha but funny (wierd).

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 4:20am
post #6 of 9

Here's my story of four tiers of cake not served, and on the first page is a link to Coral3's story of her relations who kept having her make cake, then not serving it.

People are very, very strange!

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 5:07am
post #7 of 9

It sounds to me like she realized too late she'd made a mistake in the chosen design and therefore decided to take pictures with the other cake instead. You did what she asked, so don't worry about it -- her mistake not yours.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:13am
post #8 of 9
MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the ideas (and compliments!). I have a cake going to the same place next weekend so I think I'll ask for a shorter table for it. I do believe the set up probably wasn't as good as it could have been.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%