Giant Cupcake Liner Cracking

Decorating By hope22023 Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 3:52pm by mbranko24

hope22023 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 5

I am attempting to make a giant cupcake with a chocolate liner. I ordered pink Mercken's candy melts online and they were mildly melted on arrival. I melted them down, added some crisco to thin them, painted the pan with a brush as alot of people suggested in other posts. The first time, I placed the pan in the freezer in between the 2 layers of chocolate. When I unmolded the liner, I heard the dreaded chocolate "snap." The second time I placed the pan in the refrigerator after the first coat and by the time I took it out (15 mins or so) to put the second layer on, there were numerous cracks . The 3rd time I let it set at room temp for 10 minutes then put it in the fridge for a few minutes= cracks. What could be causing this? I was afraid to try to paint over the cracks since the chocolate will already be compromised. The cake will be traveling 4 hours in 90 degree weather (in a cooler in the AC tho).... just dont want to chance it! Its for my daughters party so Im almost to the point of throwing in the towel and ordering a cake at the beach icon_smile.gif But I thought I would see if anyone has any suggestions (is the chocolate i just spent $8 bad?!?!). Thanks!

4 replies
Bluehue Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 5

Hmmmm, just curious as to why you added the crisco to the chocolate...
If i wish to use chocolate to line anything i just use the chocolate...never add crisco... as that doesn't help with the setting/strengthening process.

Are you able to try again without the crisco...hope you have some left to do that... you might find it will work better.

Just my thoughts.

Bluehue

JillyPlot Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 5

The only time I've added oil or Crisco to my chocolate is if it is not melting smoothly or if I need it to coat cake pops. I wonder if that was the problem. I'd also suggest trying again with chocolate that does not have Crisco if you have any left.

BakingIrene Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 5

There is probably nothing wrong with your melts--they can take a lot of heat.

Your layers are too thin. Paint thicker layers and let them set at ROOM TEMPERATURE meaning 70F.

Another way is to fill the mold with the melted coating. Let it set at room temperature for 15 minutes, then pour out what has not hardened. But DO NOT CHILL.

mbranko24 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 5

I had the same issue with Merckens, but not with Wilton's, surprisingly. I think it has to do with the thickness of the melts.

I agree with everyone else, do not thin it with Crisco and make your layers extra thick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%