What Do You Take To A Delivery

Decorating By JillyPlot Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 2:00am by DeniseNH

JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 11:35am
post #1 of 9

I'm just wondering what people take with them when delivering a cake to fix anything that happens during transport or just to finish off a cake on site. Do you have a typical "911 Kit" that you keep together, or do you bring what was used on that cake? Thanks for the help!

8 replies
jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 9

YES, a MUST do!! I always bring a bottle of water with a paintbrush, papertowels, extra icing that went with cake(in piping bag or container), crisco in a container(not the actual container(wouldn't look right at reception)), piping gel in case water isn't enough depending on weight of decorations, extra made decorations in case of breakage on travels, and your camera! That's all I can think of! Get in the habit of it..important,,most time I don't need, but one time it was needed indeed..you NEVER know! Photograper took pics of me fixing up a cake one time..so make sure you look professional, OH and GLOVES!! Do NOT touch cake without gloves ! Make sure you bring those too..Best of luck!

JillyPlot Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks! I'm just starting out making cakes for things other than my family parties so I'm just trying to get some ideas of what I need to bring.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 9

Any decorations i make for my cakes i always make extra - that way if something should happen i ahev spares.
Like jenscreativity i also take my *kit*
Sugar glue - paint brush - spare decorations - long handled tweezers - a brand new damp cloth to wipe away any mess that might be on table/table cloth that is set up by reception - my camera (a must) - business cards - PLUS a little oiece of folded cardboard...as i have found a coupke of tines that either the floor or table isn't even ...it can stop a table from wobbling
thumbs_up.gif .

I take all my things in a little white basket - so as everything is kept neat and tidy during my delivery... nothing worse than seeing someone (who is handling a food substance) unorganised and messy.

Hope this helps.

Bluehue

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 9

great ideas!

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 9

Wow! I just pulled out my pad of paper and made a list of eleven items from this thread. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with us. Very helpful.

Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 9

I take all of the above. I have a neat setup in a fishing tackle box so that I can also carry bent spatula, large and small, extra piping bags etc. I also keep in my car disposable bags (garbage, grocery) and a wisk broom and dust pan set just in case, especially if I am doing a cake with any sprinkles or "sand". And yes the gloves are a MUST. And one of the easiest ways to look professional is to have a nice apron. But most of all, looking relaxed and confident seems to impress people the most.

JillyPlot Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 12:09am
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much everyone for your help!!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 2:00am
post #9 of 9

I take all of the above plus my GPS, a piece of paper and pen and scotch tape, straight pins to pin stubborn fabric in place on a slippery tablecloth and believe it or not I bring a roll of clear shipping tape - used to pick up bits and specks on the tablecloth and styrofoam pieces on the floor from candle holder boxes. Then always keep at least one business card in your pocket or bag to give to brides who have been invited to the venue just prior to an event to see the place all set up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%