Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 5:30am
post #1 of

How is this done? What is used? I have some 1, and some 0 tips, and they aren't this fine, and then the icing flattens after I pipe it. If it is much thicker, my hand trembles while I squeeze! The cookies I saw most recently are from Agathy, here on CC

9 replies
tbkimber Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 6:01am
post #2 of

I use a paper cone. That way you can cut as small of a hole as you need.

mcaulir Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 10:26am
post #3 of

I believe you can buy 00 and 000 tips.

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 3:46pm
post #4 of

But even with a tiny hole, how do you squeeze it out of there? I get occasional lumps and then then with firm pressure, my hand shakes. I guess that's just me? Or at least not everyone?? Lol, I am amazed at the fine detail! It is truly awesome.

EvMarie Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 4:46pm
post #5 of

I just saw an episode of a cake show where a decorator ran royal...I believe it was royal icing...through a piece of panty hose. She explained that this ensured no lumps while piping.

I never tried it but sounds like it would work.

BakingIrene Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:22am
post #6 of

Sift your sugar through a 3x sifter just before mixing the icing.

Don't add all the sugar in the recipe until you have beaten it for several minutes at medium speed. Stringwork requires a slightly softer icing than flowers. Don't whip at high speed either, it makes bubbles.

You can also push the icing through a piece of nylon net.

malou1021 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 5:28am
post #7 of

I've used panty hose to get rid of any lumps in my royal icing many times especially when Im using left over icing. It was actually funny the first time I did it. My husband thought I was using my old used hose. lol I had to inform him that I just bought a brand new pair specifically for royal icing.

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:03am
post #8 of

Wow, I can see it it now, it sounds rather unsightly to squish it through, lol! Do you use a knee high, or a full panty? Sounds hilarious! Is it reused? If so, how do you wash it without getting lint or runners? Lmbo!!

Momofjaic Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 10:29pm
post #9 of

I buy knee highs in the "egg" at .33 a pair. Just buy a bunch and toss!!

Jillfcs Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 8:55pm

I use the nylon knee-high trick as well and it works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%