6" Tall Tiers

Decorating By pattycakes1 Updated 13 Jun 2012 , 12:23am by sillywabbitz

pattycakes1 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 3

How do you determine the size of the serving for a 6" tall tier.I know that a 4" tall tier is to be cut 1"x2"x4". They are getting 2" extra of cake in the 6" cake and I have determined how much to charge for that but I need to know the dimensions of the serving, would it be 1"x1"x6".? This is for a wedding cake that I need to price out today. HELP! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 3

It depends on your construction.... if you'll use a board in the middle for 1x2x3 servings, or slice through the entire 6" tall tier.

This calculator by volume should help:

sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 12:23am
post #3 of 3

According to Wilton which is kind of an industry guideline:
Serving amounts are based on wedding-sized portions of approximately 1 x 2 in. Cakes from 3 to 6 in. high, baked in the same size pan, would yield the same number of servings because they follow the same pattern of cutting.
Uness the person cutting the cake was given special instructions on how to cut the cake since it's taller or you did as CWR suggested which is put a cake board between them, you wouldn't get more servings.

If you do put a cake board between them and the cake server uses the standard cutting format your slices would be 1X2X3 which is only 6 cubic inches where the standard wedding cake serving is 8 cubic inches.

The above is commentary for how many servings because it's specific to the person who is cutting the cake.

For pricing the cake, ingredient wise and cost wise a 6 inch cake that is 6 inches tall is 1.5 times as big as a 4 inch tall version of the same cake so for pricing you need to increase your price by 50%. For the # of actual servings, that's based on the cutting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%