Cake Mix Box Size For Wasc?

Baking By CharliesMom09 Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 8:21pm by AnnieCahill

CharliesMom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharliesMom09 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 4

I'm a hobby baker who usually bakes from scratch. I thought I'd try a couple of the WASC gourmet flavor recipes that sound so scrumptious. Looking at white cake mixes at the store, the big brands range in size 13-odd oz through 18-odd oz, depending on the brand and which white flavor.

Does it matter which size boxed cake mix I use in the WASC recipes? Is there a certain size the recipes are based on? I think I've heard that some of the box mixes have been reduced in size, so I don't know if that changes the recipes. I would think it would upset the balance of dry vs liquid ingredients, but I really don't know anything about the science of baking.

TIA!
Karen

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 4

my *original* WASC recipe is based on the old 18.odd oz sizes. I have only tried it once since the new box sizing has come out and it seemed to work just fine.
I almost always used Betty Crocker brand. Can't say that I have ever tried store brands but have used Duncan H and much less often Pillsbury.

CharliesMom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharliesMom09 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks. To be somewhat safe, I might pick whichever white mix is the closest to 18 oz, then.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 4

I have done it with both DH and Betty and it's been fine. I always knock my sugar back 1/2 cup though, just personal preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%