Vertical Buttercream Ruffle

Decorating By Shannon1129 Updated 12 Jun 2013 , 12:35pm by paigereese

Shannon1129 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bride wanting this cake in an 8" for a cutting cake. I cannot seem to find a tutorial on it. Can anyone out there give me a tip or direct me towards a how to?

6 replies
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 7

It looks like the petal tip used flat against the cake for one row, then pulled out slightly and ruffled for the next, then they went over the seem with a small round tip in a loose pattern. Then the top is just the petal tip ruffled.

That is my guess anyway. Beautiful cake!

sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:55am
post #3 of 7

It might be the 402 or 403 tip
but I think you could do it with a rose tip as well.

BakingIrene Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:54am
post #4 of 7

This is not the 403 or 403 tip.

This is any of 124, 125, 126, 127 which have straight sides and are the right size for the sides of cakes. You can try 104 in a pinch if you have it.

Shannon1129 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 3:04am
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much for the replies! Now to grab the tips and get practicing!

paigereese Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 7

Hi there:


I tried this technique last night.  I used the 104 and it looks very similar to what is pictured.  I was practicing on a glass and becuase of the angle i was holding the glass i think the ruffles came out better than on the cake.  Still very cute though.  I am making a baby shower cake and the theme is shabby chic.  I plan on putting a large fondant flower on top.  I can take a picture tonight and send to you. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%