Attaching Sugar Sheet To Dried Gumpaste?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 13 Jun 2012 , 1:53am by sillywabbitz

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 7

I made a few fake books for a retirement cake. I cut and sized the gumpaste first, so that I could measure and make sure that each book jacket would fit.
I'm picking up the sugar sheet today and wasn't sure the best way to do it?
Piping gel?
Vodka?

I don't want to roll out new gumpaste because I need it for thursday and because these are exact sizes already.

Thanks!

6 replies
mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 7

I would wet the dried gumpaste ever so slightly with vodka to attach them. Make sure not to add too much, or it will melt the paper and your ink will run.

KarenOR Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I'll try that. I put two images of each on my page so that I would have a spare. Yikes. Little scared icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 7

Make sure you double check your sizes because gumpaste shrinks as it dries.

Ideally, you should apply the sugar sheet to the gumpaste while it's still soft, but that ship has sailed. icon_smile.gif I agree with mom2twogrlz's advice.

If it doesn't stick properly, you may want to roll out another sheet of gumpaste - ever so thin - apply the sugar sheet to that, then attach the fresh gp sheet to the dried jacket.

KarenOR Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks. I was thinking I might have to suck it up and do it again. I knew the gumpaste would shrink a little so I took that into account, but what happens when the sugar sheet is already on it and it shrinks?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 7

I've never had a problem with the sugar sheet getting weird when the gumpaste shrinks. I usually sandwich my sheet of gumpaste between two pieces of foam sponge to prevent it from curling while it's drying. I also like using fondant with tylose, which seems to be a bit more forgiving than gp.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:53am
post #7 of 7

I attached an image to a dried gumpaste wine bottle and I actually had a mix of vodka and corn syrup handy so I just painted a very light layer of that onto the bottle and it attached image. It worked great. It was thick enough it didn't bleed or dry out too quick. If the straight vodka doesn't work try 50/50 vodka/corn syrup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%