Tall Cake

Decorating By believer Updated 12 Jun 2012 , 11:03pm by CWR41

believer Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 7

I usually bake in 2 inch pans and put two layers together to get 4inch high cake. But It still doesn't look tall enough. How high should a cake be for a wedding tier with ribbon? Should I use 3 inch pans put two layers together making 6 or littler over with the filling between the layers? Thanks for your advice.

6 replies
littlestruedel Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 7

The American standard for cake height is 4". I bake in 2 inch pans and my cakes usually come out 1.5" tall. I then torte each layer into 3/4" layers and use about .25" of filling between each layer. By the time I fill, crumbcoat and cover in fondant, my cakes always end up just a hair over 4". I find with baking in 3" pans that my cakes always end up higher, but I just have to take that all off when I level them anyways, unless I am specifically trying to get a cake that is taller then 4".

AZCouture Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 7

Mine bake to the rim of the pan (2" pan), so with filling and icing and fonda, are generally 4.5 to 5" tall.

Joni1962 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 7

Sharon Zambito places a 1/2 inch foam board under layers for additional height. Joni

matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 7

Anywhere from 4"-6" is standard. My 2" pans always bake a little under 2" and with filling and up around 4 1/4" - 4 1/2". If you want higher, I would bake three 2" rounds. It is easier to torte and gives a great finished product with the extra layers.

believer Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your replies. I will try adding extra layer.

CWR41 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by believer

How high should a cake be for a wedding tier with ribbon?

To me, all standard 4" tall tiers with a ribbon wrapped around appear to look short, but it's deceiving... a belt cinching the cake. If you think your cakes don't look tall enough--only on the ribbon-wrapped cakes, I think that's understandable and wouldn't worry about it... it's an illusion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%