Cake Boss' Cakes In Stores...$27.99

Business By vgcea Updated 18 Jun 2012 , 9:57am by vgcea

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:38pm
post #61 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

Did anyone see the one where the oven was broken and the guy who came to fix it actually slid into the oven with his shoes on?

I'm sure he stepped on the floor inside the oven, not the shelves that the cakes are baked on. Even if he did, the cake never touches the shelves -- only the pans do, and the pans get washed. I wouldn't expect a mechanic to work barefoot in a nasty oven.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:40pm
post #62 of 92

Oh for sure, I was just surprised that it wasn't edited out!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 11:19pm
post #63 of 92

At my bridal association meeting today we were talking about so-called reality shows, and I was shocked, SHOCKED I say! to hear from a couple of dress salon owners and a realtor that the shows about their specialties are totally made up for drama too! Oh what a shock (not.) Except for the realtor... I can't think of what they'd fake for the real estate shows, but he said they're completely staged too.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 11:31pm
post #64 of 92

Ok, one idea about the mixes. I'm pretty sure they are still his.

Totally unrelated, but my dad created the first ever horse feed for athletic horses. After he submitted the feed for analysis to VA Tech, he then contacted a local mill that took his recipe, yes recipe, multiplied it, mixed it, and put it in labeled 50 an 100 pound bags. Yes, it was a mix at that point, but it was HIS mix with no chemicals or preservatives. A 100% scratch, even gourmet, feed for horses. It was sold at a high premium. But the bag was labeled with his company name and it had a full nutrition label.

So in Buddy's facility, he may very well have had Dawn Foods make his mix, but that does not mean that it isn't 100% scratch without preservatives. My guess is that the new equipment accepts, for example, 50 pound bags of mix, x eggs, x oil, etc. But they are still scratch. His products don't need preservatives because they are sold the same day.

For his new retail cakes, he may have preservatives but that is a simple answer of looking at the label.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 11:57pm
post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

At my bridal association meeting today we were talking about so-called reality shows, and I was shocked, SHOCKED I say! to hear from a couple of dress salon owners and a realtor that the shows about their specialties are totally made up for drama too! Oh what a shock (not.) Except for the realtor... I can't think of what they'd fake for the real estate shows, but he said they're completely staged too.

I am so not surprised by this. Most people are NOT good actors, and some of these shows prove it beyond a doubt.

That "Say Yes to the Dress, Atlanta" is soooooooooooooooooo fake it's not even funny--and the bridesmaid dress episodes are the absolute worst.

The new one--Mystery Diner????--is so staged it's sick.

CupCake Wars is a joke---2hrs. my behind.

I'm a real anti-drama~mama, so they make me nuts.

They do, however, make great background noise while I'm working in the kitchen icon_lol.gif

Rae

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 1:11am
post #66 of 92

his cakes taste terrible. i have had two so far at events where he sent the cakes for free... and they were dry and the fondant so thick.

Mikomomof4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikomomof4 Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 1:48am
post #67 of 92

Hmm...so cc users don't like cfl bakers, illegal bakers and big money maker cake boss? Im confused. I thought legal, licenced homebakers, commercial kitchen bakers and storefront bakers had comradery?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 1:49am
post #68 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikomomof4

Hmm...so cc users don't like cfl bakers, illegal bakers and big money maker ? Im confused. I thought legal, licenced homebakers, commercial kitchen bakers and storefront bakers had comradery?

CakeCentral is not one monolithic entity, different CC members have different opinions. Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Mikomomof4 Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 2:00am
post #69 of 92

[quote="jason_kraft"]

Quote:

Hmm...so cc users don't like cfl bakers, illegal bakers and big money maker ? Im confused. I thought legal, licenced homebakers, commercial kitchen bakers and storefront bakers had comradery?

CakeCentral is not one monolithic entity, different CC members have different opinions. Hope this helps clear up the confusion.[/quote

Yep I don't doubt that that could be true. I am speaking of posts that I read (which are alot) hmm learn something new on here everyday.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 2:05am
post #70 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

CakeCentral is not one monolithic entity, different CC members have different opinions. Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

That's not exactly true. There are certain posters who are prolific in their posting, and their posts tend to set the tone for the forums. Most people would rather not spit into the wind or fight the tide, so they just watch, therefore someone might understandably think there is some groupthink going on from time to time.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 4:16am
post #71 of 92
Quote:

icon_lol.gif No I don't think that is the case here. I'll speak for myself: I have nothing against the guy, dry cake, cake mix or not. I'm just happy someone in the cake world is doing it big. It gives us little guys some hope.

LSW929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW929 Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 10:27am
post #72 of 92

I work at BJ's Wholesale Club in the bakery and my boss mentioned last week that she was told we will be selling cakes from the cake boss. She didn't have any idea of the price or sizes only that they have a very short shelf life. Our customers expect alot for their money, if these sell for $27.99 I don't see us selling that many, our full sheet cakes are only $36.00 and that's fully decorated with a deco pac or photo iced in real buttercream icing. I don't see them doing too well.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 5:09pm
post #73 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSW929

I work at BJ's Wholesale Club in the bakery and my boss mentioned last week that she was told we will be selling cakes from the . She didn't have any idea of the price or sizes only that they have a very short shelf life. Our customers expect alot for their money, if these sell for $27.99 I don't see us selling that many, our full sheet cakes are only $36.00 and that's fully decorated with a deco pac or photo iced in real buttercream icing. I don't see them doing too well.

I disagree. People spend money on stuff that they view as a status symbol or they view as high quality. Otherwise people would never spend $200 on a pair of bedazzled sweatpants that say "Juicy" on the butt that are made in China. I mean, why in the WORLD would I want my @ss to say "Juicy"??? Seriously, what is that terry cloth made out of, angle tears spun by the Sugar Plum Fairy then sewn together by Tinkerbell? Give me a break.

Anyway, these things will sell very well - at first. If they are disgusting then they will eventually go away but the initial release is pretty guaranteed profit across all markets simply based on the fact that Cake Boss is a household name.

I think they will sell great in large chain stores sitting next to $36 sheet cakes. A cake made by the Cake Boss has a much higher perceived value and carries a lot more status then a grocery store sheet cake - even though they may be made with the same ingredients and are mostly the same quality. If your store was smart they would add a surcharge for adding writing on them like Happy Birthday. Less work for you + more profit for the store= win/win.

I am now very encouraged that there is a short shelf life on them - that indicates they are not made with 100% artificial crap.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 5:15pm
post #74 of 92
Quote:

You are 100% exactly right in your ridiculous assumption. Right on thumbs_up.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif icon_wink.gif

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 7:45pm
post #75 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl645

You're right about not being able to produce a consistent product with high quality with scratch recipes. I can attest to that. From the moment I started doubling and worse tripling and quadrupling my scratch cake recipes for wedding cakes, the quality sucked! I am no science or maths expert so I don't even understand by how much flour I needed to reduce the recipe by or how much more liquid to add to maintain a moisture balance. I just knew my once moist and great tasting cakes were now coming out dry.

It is possible to turn out a consistent high quality product in large volumes, from scratch. I've seen it done in several european bakeries. It does require skilled staff, of course. Pastry chefs. And great recipes. Unfortunately it's become very rare.

Recipes for small volumes (like single cakes) and recipes for large volumes are two different things. Small volume cake recipes might have small imperfections that does not show up until you try to double, triple or quadrupling them. Baking is chemistry, and when the balance between ingredients goes off, the quality suffers greatly.

Mikomomof4 Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 7:46pm
post #76 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:

You are 100% exactly right in your ridiculous assumption. Right on thumbs_up.gif

I stopped after "you are %100 right". my question was regarding the post that I have read. Those that knew how to respond great , thanks for the insight and ability to help me understand (kellym, vgcea and kellym). Those that don't know how to respond use sarcasm and the question was never aimed at the "unqualified to answer cc members"

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 12:05am
post #77 of 92
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I stopped after "you are %100 right". my question was regarding the post that I have read. Those that knew how to respond great , thanks for the insight and ability to help me understand (kellym, vgcea and kellym). Those that don't know how to respond use sarcasm and the question was never aimed at the "unqualified to answer cc members"

Well, I am so very sorry you find me unqualified. icon_rolleyes.gif As a commercial kitchen owner, that is located in my home, and is in the process of opening a storefront, who has been a CC user for 5 years, and a member for 3, I think that makes me very qualified to answer, since you said, and I quote:

Quote:

I thought that was a very snarky generalization of thousands and thousands of CC users, For the record, being so qualified to answer, I think CFL bakers have an unfair advantage in some ways, while I have the advantage in other ways. I will turn in any illegal baker who advertises on craigslist or passes out cards, but will look the other way if they do it occasionally for friends of family. And I find the big money makers inspiring! I would love to be one, but I find myself pretty critical of their shoddy processes or their shoddy work when it is brought to my attention, such as being on broadcasted on TV or the internet. By shoddy, I mean the craters in fondant, the too thick fondant, chocolate molded with holes in them, no hairnets or hat, ugly yellow or green icing with ploppy flowers or balloons, and bulges between layers. I can do better, and could really use the money thumbs_up.gif

I hope that adequately answers your original question, your majesty. Image

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 1:49am
post #78 of 92
Quote:

What a ludicrous post and what a waste of time reading it.

jason_kraft Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 2:10am
post #79 of 92

I'm pretty sure Mikomomof4's post was a troll, meant to inject artificial controversy into a thread that has nothing to do with licensing or CFLs, complete with the standard troll tactics of overgeneralization and personal attacks.

That's why I kept my response brief and did not respond to follow up posts along this off-topic line of discussion, which doesn't seem to be productive and is probably best ignored.

Mikomomof4 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 2:17am
post #80 of 92
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I am so very sorry you find me unqualified. icon_rolleyes.gif As a commercial kitchen owner, that is located in my home, and is in the process of opening a storefront, who has been a CC user for 5 years, and a member for 3, I think that makes me very qualified to answer, since you said, and I quote:

Quote:

I hope that adequately answers your original question, your majesty. Image

alrighty first of all I can care less about your cake history, clap, clap and pat yourself on the back. I asked a question because of the forum posts that I read. there were folks that were able to answer and i appreciate it. whether thet were nice or came at me with a "set her straight" approach (duh kinda what i wanted) they answered and i appreciate it. last i looked there are close to 5000 views for this post. I only make cakes for my kids and as a hobby. It might be possible that someone else may have benefited from the members that were able and chose to answer my question. I apologize (excluding you) to the cc members for coming off as if i was generalizing everybody. Only speaking on the posts that i read.
again thanks to the helpful, non- sarcastic, grown-up responses. now you want a do-over? next time add some answers with your sarcasm HTH!!
save your too little, too late response. I will not be scrolling down to read your do-over answer. good day court jester!!

Thanks to the many AMAZING cc baker/decorators that are so valuable in helping!

Mikomomof4 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 2:26am
post #81 of 92
Quote:

I'm pretty sure Mikomomof4's post was a troll, meant to inject artificial controversy into a thread that has nothing to do with licensing or CFLs, complete with the standard troll tactics of overgeneralization and personal attacks.

That's why I kept my response brief and did not respond to follow up posts along this off-topic line of discussion, which doesn't seem to be productive and is probably best ignored.

what the heck is a troll? I will go and google it. I asked a question after scratching my head in confusion. This post was about cake boss cakes. reread the original post and then my post. calm down. i still appreciate your reply as i got insight to a lot of these posts. so now you can be singled out and labled a troll if you ask the wrong (in your eyes) question?
there are some (a few) cult, crazy like folks on here. labeling me a troll? calm down.

Mikomomof4 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 2:32am
post #82 of 92
Quote:

Please if you think i am this secret, tactical,overgeneralization, personal attacker (oh goodness am i really typing this, it sounds cooky) "troll" , steer clear of me. In the mean time i am only on here for the invaluable info and help from other members.

jason_kraft Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:17am
post #83 of 92

One definition of a troll is "someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion." The term can also be applied to a specific type of post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

The poster in question does not have a history of posting this way, which is why I applied the troll label to the post instead of the poster. It's quite possible there was no malicious intent here, but the post itself is still off-topic and inflammatory.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:31am
post #84 of 92
Quote:

Please if you think i am this secret, tactical,overgeneralization, personal attacker (oh goodness am i really typing this, it sounds cooky) "troll" , steer clear of me.

I would love to steer clear of you, so please don't send me any more PMs insulting me.

Mikomomof4 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:31am
post #85 of 92
Quote:

A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

okay. a little crazy. It was just a question.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusion

par·a·noi·a (pr-noi)
n.
1. A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason.
2. Extreme, irrational distrust of others.

Calm down!

jason_kraft Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:36am
post #86 of 92

Please refrain from personal attacks and try to stick to the topic. Thanks!

Mikomomof4 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:36am
post #87 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

Quote:

Please if you think i am this secret, tactical,overgeneralization, personal attacker (oh goodness am i really typing this, it sounds cooky) "troll" , steer clear of me.

I would love to steer clear of you, so please don't send me any more PMs insulting me.

icon_wink.gif you sent me a pm first. thank you !

Mikomomof4 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:41am
post #88 of 92
Quote:

Please refrain from personal attacks and try to stick to the topic. Thanks!

agreed. I don't appreciate being called a troll for asking a question. I think being falsley accused of something is a personal attack.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 7:02am
post #89 of 92

OKAY people. Let's not allow this to get any worse than it already is. I would appreciate it if we just let this die and get back on track. Thank you.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 8:38am
post #90 of 92

Pearl, if you have a good cake at 9 inches, you should get just as good in a larger cake. A few things to think about:

You need good pans, baking nails and strips, lower oven temps, longer baking times, and a good oven thermometer.

Some recipes benefit from a slight reduction in leaveners, but you can ask about particular recipes by starting a thread and asking the scratch bakers for help on a particular recipe.

There are many members who would be happy to help you convert these recipes so that you get great results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%