Air Pocket Question

Decorating By Rosita0547 Updated 12 Jun 2012 , 8:53am by bashini

Rosita0547 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosita0547 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 4

I made my first Wedding Cake this past weekend. Although I am very happy with how it turned out, I did have a little trouble with air pockets. After doing a lot of research and reading so many posts here on CC, I decided the best way to go was covering the cake with ganache under my fondant, which I really liked a lot. I let the cake settle over night and had NO bulging which was great, but after putting on the fondant, there they were! Air pockets, I used a pin to "pop" most of them, it wasn't really noticeable to the bride and guests,but it was to me. What caused this to happen? The cake is the Red Roses Cake in my Gallery.

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there, I think this happens at the time of covering the cake. Whether its buttercream or ganache, what I do is, once I put the fondant on the cake, I start smoothing the top first. And then from the top I keep smoothing the fondant by hand around the cake. I keep on doing this from top to bottom. So no way of air trapping inside. Have you had a chance to brouse on youtube? There are lot of video, which I think will help you. icon_smile.gif

Rosita0547 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosita0547 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 4

Hi bashini, Thank you kindly for the advice, in fact, that is how I apply the fondant but I guess for some reason air was able to get trapped inside. yes, I am always browsing You Tube too. Everything is very helpful. Thank you again!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 8:53am
post #4 of 4

You are welcome. icon_smile.gif Very rarely, I do get air bubbles in my cakes too. I know lot of cake makers use powdered sugar to roll their fondant. But I use cornstarch. Wonder that has got anything to do with it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%