Substituting Margarine For Butter In Bc

Baking By Pearl645 Updated 11 Jun 2012 , 10:36pm by jason_kraft

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 5

So I have a confession to make. I have been using margarine in my BC recipe and been very satisfied with it but I can't help but wonder what will happen if I actually use 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening BC in the heat. Will the BC melt or slide off? Im in a hot and dry climate. The reason I am asking is cuz I see all the BC recipes call for 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening for the crusting recipes. My recipe is the standard wilton 1/2 butter (I just substitute margarine) 1/2 shortening 4 cups PS 1 tbsp essence 2 tbsp milk.

Anyone else use margarine instead of butter? Margarine is way cheaper than butter which is also why I use it.

4 replies
akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 5

I can taste the difference... Thus why I really don't even like butter cream because of the shortening component. I couldn't substitute margarine unless a customer requested it and then under much protest.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 5

Using butter vs margerine will not make a difference in the consistency of your icing.....
Well, I guess that will depend on the brand of margerine used - some have more water in them than others. If you have not had problems up to now and have used the same recipe than there should be no problem.
I can think of only one time I had a problem and that was a triple digit day with (very UNusual) high humidity. Even though I pre-cooled my car w/AC the icing did melt a bit just going the (approx.) 2-3 miles from shop to venue and carrying it in icon_sad.gif

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaivyleaf

I can taste the difference... Thus why I really don't even like butter cream because of the shortening component. I couldn't substitute margarine unless a customer requested it and then under much protest.

What do you use instead of buttercream then?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 5

We use margarine (earth balance) and shortening (Sweetex Z) in our buttercream. It's completely dairy-free and customers rave about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%