Cake Between Cooling And Icing??

Decorating By naiyyar Updated 11 Jun 2012 , 4:27pm by Spooky_789

naiyyar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naiyyar Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 8:13am
post #1 of 4

Hi CC,

Iv just baked a 6 inch small cake and its sitting on my wire rack cooling off. Il be icing it after 24 hours. some places Iv read/seen on utube/have been told to freeze the cake wrapping it in a cling film and some say to leave it in a cool place or refrigerate it.

ofcourse this has been told due to the individuals experience. but could u plz throw light that how does each treatment work. why do u follow and not follow a particular method?

Thanx

3 replies
suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 8:54am
post #2 of 4

I bake mostly butter/chocolate cakes. once it comes to room temperature. i wrap it up well with cling wrap and keep it in my "cooled down" oven, till i ice it the next day - perfect !!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 4

If it is just a single cake, I will often put it in a cake carrier over night. If I bake late and need to go to bed before it completely cools I'll also put it in a cake carrier on a wire rack.

If I have a bunch of cakes to do, I will wrap them in several layers of plastic wrap and leave out on the kitchen cabinet.

I never freeze cakes, mostly because all I have is a side by side and have no room for it. Some say that freezing helps make the cake more moist. I haven't had a moistness issue, so I'm okay with what I do. If I need to bake early (as in a week or so) then I would freeze.

I don't put the cakes in the fridge either, because I have no need to. Wrapped well in plastic wrap keeps them from drying out.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 4

Since I work 8-5, I tend to bake later in the evening. I remove the cake from the pan, let it cool on the wire rack overnight. I will take a papertowel and drape it across the top of the cake to keep anything from settling on the top of the cake. Then, in the morning, will wrap them in plastic wrap several times, but leave on the counter until that evening to frost and decorate.

If I am baking ahead of time, then I'll freeze the cakes, but usually I bake 1-2 days in advance of needing the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%