How Do You Cut The Top Cake On A Cupcake Tower?

Baking By sweetjoyfulness Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 11:21am by noosalucy

sweetjoyfulness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjoyfulness Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 4:05am
post #1 of 4

I am doing my first wedding cupcake tower with a 6" cutting cake on the top tier. I feel I need to "glue" it down with frosting to feel that it is secure. How are the bride and groom going to cut it? The tower will be up an a table so it will be rather tall to reach and if they try and get it off it will be really messy.... How to you all handle the cake cutting of that cupcake tower cake? Thanks guys!!

3 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 7:25am
post #2 of 4

I did a quick google image search and found people cutting the cake while it was on the top of the tower, the top cake having been removed and cut on the table, and the bride and groom cutting a cupcake on the bottom layer.

http://weddingcake.name/the-combination-of-wedding-cakes-and-cupcake-towers-8110808/cutting-wedding-cake-wedding-cupcakes-tower/

Perhaps you could use just a small amount of frosting to glue the cake in place. Or possibly use a separate plate under the cake so it can be removed more easily.

It's not really your problem, ultimately, I don't think. They'll work it out with their photographer at the time.

sewlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlo Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 6:03am
post #3 of 4

My cupcake tower has removable tiers, so the top tier is removed before cutting. If it's not too tall, cutting it on top would be okay but depending on the height of the table and the height of the bride and groom.

I would do what the previous poster said and consider putting the cake on a cake board that can be easily moved.

noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 11:21am
post #4 of 4

The cake should be on its own cake board - a stand alone cake - which is placed on to the top tier of your cupcake stand when your setting it up at the venue. The bride and groom will get a photo of the cake cutting while it is on the tower but the cake won't be cut on the tower. The cake (on its cake board) gets taken down and cut and served. You shouldn't glue it onto the tower, like you wont' be gluing the cupcakes on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%