Does Anyone Freeze Warm Cakes?

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 11 Jun 2012 , 1:18pm by Bluehue

Pearl645 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 4:14am
post #1 of 12

So I wrote in a thread earlier that I had problems with my cakes taking half a day to cool. Someone recommended letting the cake cool for a bit then cling wrapping and freezing while still warm to hot. Do you guys do this as well and what success have you had?

11 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 9:35am
post #2 of 12

I let my cakes cool to room temp then I wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze them. If you cake is to hot placing it in the freezer can actually make them shrink a little.

mcaulir Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 10:18am
post #3 of 12

I often freeze as soon as the cake is cool enough to touch and won't melt the plastic wrap. It's always worked fine for me - although I usually make fairly dense cakes, so I've no idea how it would affect a lighter style of cake.

Bluehue Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 10:55am
post #4 of 12

If cake needs to be frozen - then as soon as it is safe to remove from tin - i wrap - wrap again - then wrap again and pop into freezer...

Never had a problem - cakes always taste as they should...

Bluehue

scp1127 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 10:56am
post #5 of 12

Wrapping the cake while warm locks in some of the steam that evaporates as the cake cools and actually finishes the baking process.

Some people who find their cakes too dry, use this method to make them more moist.

If your cake is already moist or is at the correct moisture level, then the cake will retain more moisture and will not be correct after freezing.

I'm not an advocate for locking in steam. That is just making the cake wet. It is not the same as the real moisture created by a good recipe and proper method.

I have a few cakes that work better with a short time in the freezer, about one to three hours. These are the more delicate cakes that are easier to handle when firmer while cold.

I always wrap them when they reach room temp so that the cake in the end matches the cake that I baked.

Pearl645 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for all the responses. I will give these suggestions a try.

denetteb Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 2:16am
post #7 of 12

It is probably fine for the cake. However it is bad news for whatever else you have in the freezer. Just think of your meat, ice cream, etc that is in the freezer that is near that hot or warm cake. The other nearby items will be warmer also and possibly slightly melting from the heat.

Bluehue Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 2:46am
post #8 of 12

Some of us have caking fridges and freezes -
I wouldn't be putting a burning hot cake in the freezer -
Good grief - the glad wrap would melt - icon_wink.gif

Plus i don't plan on burning my hands whilst handling something that is too hot.

Common sense prevails - one can put a warm cake in the freezer.

Bluehue

denetteb Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 12:12pm
post #9 of 12

I guessed that the OP didn't have separate freezers for cakes and I wanted to point out another consideration for putting even a warm cake in the freezer. Especially since one poster wraps and frreezes as soon as it is safe to take from the tin (which is often 10 minutes) and another as soon as it is cool enough to handle and not melt the saran wrap. I never said you couldn't put a warm cake in the freezer, just to keep in mind the other things you have in there and the effect of raising the freezer temp while the cake cools and the freezer can cool back down to the appropriate temp. That is all I was pointing out. Yes, common sense but I still thought it worth pointing out.

Bluehue Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 12:17pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb

I guessed that the OP didn't have separate freezers for cakes and I wanted to point out another consideration for putting even a warm cake in the freezer. Especially since one poster wraps and frreezes as soon as it is safe to take from the tin (which is often 10 minutes) and another as soon as it is cool enough to handle and not melt the saran wrap. I never said you couldn't put a warm cake in the freezer, just to keep in mind the other things you have in there and the effect of raising the freezer temp while the cake cools and the freezer can cool back down to the appropriate temp. That is all I was pointing out. Yes, common sense but I still thought it worth pointing out.

They would both be me icon_smile.gif ... and yes i do agree with what you say....

all is good.

Bluehue

denetteb Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 12:31pm
post #11 of 12

Glad all is good, thanks.

Bluehue Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 1:18pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb

Glad all is good, thanks.

thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif
Blue