Fondant Allergy??

Lounge By Neadsk Updated 11 Jun 2012 , 3:05pm by AnnieCahill

Neadsk Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 5

Not sure if anyone else has had this happen but am very curious. Every time I work with fondant my hands break out with little blisters and cracked skin. It usually happens an hour or two after and takes a few days to heal which means i can only do one cake a week which is very irritating. I'v had eczema for years but this reaction is very different to anything I'v had a reaction with before. I would really appreciate any advice or treatment for this that anyone has.
icon_smile.gif

4 replies
hieperdepiep Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 5

I don't have any experience with allergies myzelf, but it must be very hard for you! icon_sad.gif
Would it have anything to do with some chemicals in your fondant?

Would it help to smear your hands with a bit of food oil with a neutral taste? Haven't tried it myself, would it get sticky?
I just bought a bottle of almondoil today in a food store, nice flavour and só nice for your skin.

I personally only use a good marzipan for my cakes, witch has just a very few chemicals in it. Just 4 other ingedients beside sugar and almonds. But that is a Dutch thing I suppose..

BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neadsk

Not sure if anyone else has had this happen but am very curious. Every time I work with fondant my hands break out with little blisters and cracked skin. It usually happens an hour or two after and takes a few days to heal which means i can only do one cake a week which is very irritating. I'v had eczema for years but this reaction is very different to anything I'v had a reaction with before. I would really appreciate any advice or treatment for this that anyone has.
icon_smile.gif

People can become allergic to almost anything.

Take a good look at the ingredients in your fondant and google anything that you don't come in contact with on a daily basis.

Do you use cornflour? Allergies to cornstarch are fairly common.

Are you wearing latex gloves? Latex allergies are very common, too.

If you're not wearing gloves, perhaps purchasing some hypo-allergenic nytrile gloves would give you some relief.

Rae

BakingIrene Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 5

Look online for the full list of ingredients in whatever brand of fondant you have purchased. Contact the manufacturer if you have questions. It might be the colours, or the additives that extend shelf life.

Try making your own fondant from icing sugar, gelatine, corn syrup, water, flavour. If you have an allergy to any of those ingredients it will be easy to track down.

You might also have a reaction to either the corn or to some of the flavourings. Making you own fondant is not difficult and turns out just as well as the packaged stuff and tastes better.

Use disposable gloves if it helps.

AnnieCahill Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 5

I don't ever get blisters, but I definitely get very dry, cracked hands from all the powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%