6 Cakes In 6 Days!?! Help!!!

Decorating By tripletmom Updated 15 Sep 2005 , 5:25am by sgirvan

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:34am
post #1 of 15

Hello Everyone!

I need some advice! I have 6 cake orders to fill within 6 days, none of them 'easy'. Considering that each one is normally done well into the wee hours of the morning, I see trouble ahead. Why did I do this? I must be such a glutton for punishment!

Should I make up 7 batches of icing in advance and colour as I go? Should I go on a baking binge and make all of my cakes, freeze them and pull them out as needed? Let's face it, time management is not my strongpoint so anything to help would be fantastic!

Do you hear that? It's me, banging my head on the table...icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_confused.gif AAARRRRGGHHHH!!!!! I just checked the calendar...make that 7 cakes in 6 days!!!!! Is death by cake possible? lol!

14 replies
good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:46am
post #2 of 15

I would make all icing and cakes ahead of time and use them as time allows. I have never had problems with freezing my cakes. And Frosting stays good long after 6 days. You are a devoted cake decorator girl! And triplets to boot! You are my hero!
Judy

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 2:43am
post #3 of 15

I would definitaly make all icing and cake ahead, and freeze the cake. It will save you so much time in prep work and clean up. When your ready to decorate it will all be there, rather than having to pull out ingredients and mixing equipment each time.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 2:47am
post #4 of 15

I agree.....maybe you could get a large bucket and dump all your icing into it so that you have it on hand......... then bake and free all your cakes...

when i have tons of cakes it helps me speed alonf if i just make my icing ahead of time....we have a restraunt here called Bill Millers they sell tea by the gallon in buckets so I make my icing and fill it up. two of my batches equals one gallon of icing.

then I just grab the bucket and away we go....

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 3:13am
post #5 of 15

Buckets are a great idea! That reminds me, most of the bakeries around here get their icing delivered in buckets. Well, they are constantly emptying the buckets and collecting them. They are then used for mixing and stuff, but eventually the collection gets too big and they just start trowing them out. You can call bakeries around you and ask it they have any extra buckets. Some bakeries will charge a dollar or two, but ours just gave them away. That's where I got mine.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 7:26am
post #6 of 15

Well, suffice it to say that you are nuts!! But only for decorating-LOL. I t is possible to get it all done in the time you have. Like everyone else said, bake and freeze the cakes ahead. I would mix up and color my icing ahead, too. That way the color has the time to set to it's true hue. And you don't have color shock from not letting it set long enough. You are the mom of triplets-there is nothing that you can not do!!! I have faith in you. Good luck and take pics for us!!! I also get the buckets from work here and mix up batches of icing ahead of time even when I don't have cakes due. You never know when a last minute customer might pop up!

Tanya

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 15

I agree, make everything ahead of time and just pull out as you go.

YOU CAN DO IT icon_wink.gif

Stop banging your head and take a deep breathe, relax, and go for it thumbs_up.gif

Love your work and can't wait to see the pictures.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I was up much earlier than normal this morning, I didn't sleep well, too many cakes running through my mind. I am trying to plan a course of action. Tonite will be a major cake baking and icing making nite. Gotta go shopping today....

Thanks again!

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyascakes

Well, suffice it to say that you are nuts!! But only for decorating-LOL. I t is possible to get it all done in the time you have. Like everyone else said, bake and freeze the cakes ahead. I would mix up and color my icing ahead, too. That way the color has the time to set to it's true hue. And you don't have color shock from not letting it set long enough. You are the mom of triplets-there is nothing that you can not do!!! I have faith in you. Good luck and take pics for us!!! I also get the buckets from work here and mix up batches of icing ahead of time even when I don't have cakes due. You never know when a last minute customer might pop up!

Tanya

I am assuming you guys are using a non-crusting buttercream? I have only found one icing recipe that I like to work with and it dries pretty quick, so I have to keep it covered at all times. Yes, keeping it covered is a pain, but it smooths very well and dries fast enough to do the Viva paper towel smoothing method. Do you guys find it difficult to dip out of the bucket and keep it from drying or do you just dip out what you think you'll need into another bowl and keep the lid on the bucket? I am a procrastinator, so this would be great if I could force myself to do this. I just wanted to know if you guys use a non-crusting bc or maybe get some of your recipes.

Another thing, I use an all shortening recipe and sometimes it seperates after a few days. Is it okay to just remix and use it, or is something wrong and I should throw it out? I keep my house pretty cool, but every now and then it can get somewhat warm but usually never over 75 degrees. Anybody had this problem?

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 15

You are the mother of triplets girl, Seven little cakes should be a piece of cake....um pardon the expression!

Jennz818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennz818 Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 15

My husband bought this HUGE tupperware bowl a few years back to make Rice Crispy Treats in...because it's plastic the marshmallows don't stick.
When I have more than 1 cake to make in a 2 day period I will commandere it and put my icing into it. I made 6 batchs one time and it fit just fine in there...

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 2:41pm
post #12 of 15

..in addition, get your boxes, boards and invoices ready ahead of time too!

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 12:42am
post #13 of 15

I use a crusting recipe-my buckets have lids so I just burp to get the air out. when I 1st make my batch its full so there no air in it. as the level goes down. I just toss of piece of wax paper on it so that its covered.

Jenns818- you muct have the "thatsabowl". I used to sell tupperware and this was another I would never part with. However I cant make my frosting in there because thats where I have my MMF fondant.....hahaha and I always have that on hand because when i get bored I like to "play" and see what i come up with

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 2:17am
post #14 of 15

I love the "that'sabowl"!!!! I have no clue what I did without it before I got it! lol I can mix 2 or 3 cake mixes or batches of icing in it at once with no problem and without sinking my mixer!! It's really huge, but since it's wider than it is deep it's really easy to mix big batches of stuff. When I make pasta salad I just dump all of the ingredients and whatever type of dressing I'm using in it, pop the lid on and let my 5 yr old go to town shaking it!! lol icon_lol.gif He has a ball! Also - when it's movie night we pop some corn in the microwave, dump it in the bowl and add some garlic salt and a tad of melted butter and shake it up too. I just wish it would fit in my fridge without me having to clean the fridge out first!!!! lol icon_rolleyes.gif

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 5:25am
post #15 of 15

Wow that is a whole lot a cake to make!!! icon_eek.gif I usually try to plan all of my cakes on paper, the design and what I need to make and buy for them so that way I have everything ready. I would figure out your designs for the cake and how much of each color you would want especially for those common colors and make those all up and then have the white icing that you can add to later. Bake and freeze your cakes, fill the ones that can be filled and frozen and make all deocrations ahead of time if possible.

Good luck and I can't wait to see pictures, I hope you have a big dishwasher icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%