Buttercream Nightmares!!!!

Decorating By cake-mad Updated 16 Jun 2012 , 9:53pm by crihn

cake-mad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-mad Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 13

Hi,
So ive recently taking up decorating my cakes and cupcakes with buttercream,
generally this has been going well, but sometimes the buttercream seperates, it looks like water is seeping out of the buttercream and it is ruining the finished look of my cakes.
i use an equal ratio of unsalted butter to icing sugar and add a few drops of vanilla essence, i mix everything by hand with a metal spoon, i like my buttercream to be quite stiff as i pipe with it a lot.

Also when piping buttercream flowers and other decorations the icing seems to "melt" and lose its stiffness and separates a little too.

What am I doing wrong?

Any advice appreciated, also i'm in uk so dont know if i can get hold of corisco shortening

thank you

12 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 13

Try adding some meringue powder to it. About a tablespoon for 2 cups of icing if it's humid, 1 T for about 3 cups if it's not humid. Also, 1 cup of butter or shortening to 4 cups of powdered sugar

shellw72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellw72 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 13

I use a ratio of about 1 part butter to 3 parts icing sugar with 1 tablespoon or so of milk if needed. You can then flavour this with cocoa powder or other flavourings as you wish. Depending on the heat and humidity I increase or decrease the amount of icing sugar or add a little extra milk to get the desired consistency for piping. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-mad

Hi,
So ive recently taking up decorating my cakes and cupcakes with buttercream,
generally this has been going well, but sometimes the buttercream seperates, it looks like water is seeping out of the buttercream and it is ruining the finished look of my cakes.
i use an equal ratio of unsalted butter to icing sugar and add a few drops of vanilla essence, i mix everything by hand with a metal spoon, i like my buttercream to be quite stiff as i pipe with it a lot.

Also when piping buttercream flowers and other decorations the icing seems to "melt" and lose its stiffness and separates a little too.

What am I doing wrong?

Any advice appreciated, also i'm in uk so dont know if i can get hold of corisco shortening

thank you

I don't use that type of icing so I can't help you there. The UK equivalent to Crisco is Trex which can be found in any of the big 4 supermarkets. HTH

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 13

Equal ratio? Does that mean by weight?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 13

If you post the recipe you are using we can better help you.
It does sound like you are using much too much liquid.

cake-mad Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 13

hi,
thanks for all the tips,

by equal ratio i mean by weight, so 50g butter to 50g icing sugar, so you think i should use a higher weight ratio of icing sugar.

also should i be using salted or unsalted butter?

thanks again to all replies.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-mad

What am I doing wrong?

You aren't adding enough powdered sugar. Your flowers won't droop if the buttercream is stiff.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 13

It really doesn't matter what butter u use. Unsalted will make your icing sweeter and salted will be a little less sweet. A lot of people use unsalted then add salt. It's really just depends in your personal preference.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 13

I use 1 part butter to 2 parts powdered sugar (by weight) for my ABC.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 10:11pm
post #11 of 13

Yes, I think it's too much butter. One pound fat, all butter or butter and shortening mixed to two pounds icing sugar.

Then add a little whole milk or cream to adjust the consistency.

cake-mad Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 7:43am
post #12 of 13

thanks for all the help, i increased the amount of sugar i was putting in and used uunsalted and the buttercream was much better,
icon_smile.gif

crihn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crihn Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 13

I also use meringue powder in my buttercream icing. If you want the recipe I'd be happy to share it with you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%