Chocolate Pudding Cake Filling. Need Help

Decorating By Lynne3 Updated 12 Jun 2012 , 11:53pm by TJ_Cakes

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:14am
post #1 of 7

I need to make a cake with chocolate pudding as the filling between layers. Is there a secret to having it not squish down under the weight of a cake layer.
I have never done a cake with pudding as the filling. Please help with recipes and suggestions if you can
Thanks

6 replies
SharilynnCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharilynnCakes Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:35am
post #2 of 7

Use 2 small INSTANT PUDDING chocolate or whatever flavor you need to.
8oz cream cheese, softened
MIX TOGETHER WITH MIXER UNTIL SMOOTH. I use my countertop mixer on medium (speed 6-7) and it takes maybe 2 minutes.
Now add 3/4 cup MILK (6ounces).
MIX AGAIN ON A LITTLE LOWER SPEED (I do speed 4) for about 1 minute.
Add 4 cups of HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM.
Mix on a lower speed to avoid splashing of the cream for about a minute, then mix on medium again for about 4 minutes.
THERE YOU GO! ITS THE BEST and I use this recipe with EVERY instant pudding mix out there. Same recipe just change the pudding flavors. It actually comes out as a mousse texture and just an awesome taste.
I do a dam around the edges of my cakes when I use this receipe. It is not runny and kind of thick. If you want to mix it longer you won't hurt it.
I add fresh strawberries to the strawberry pudding and I add raspberries to the white chocolate and vanilla puddings. You can get creative once you have this recipe down. I use no other fillings on any of my cakes unless I have a request to just use BC.

SharilynnCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharilynnCakes Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharilynnCakes

MIX TOGETHER WITH MIXER UNTIL SMOOTH. I use my countertop mixer on medium (speed 6-7) and it takes maybe 2 minutes.
Now add 3/4 cup MILK (6ounces).
MIX AGAIN ON A LITTLE LOWER SPEED (I do speed 4) for about 1 minute.
Add 2 cups of HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM.
Mix on a lower speed to avoid splashing of the cream for about a minute, then mix on medium again for about 4 minutes.
THERE YOU GO! ITS THE BEST and I use this recipe with EVERY instant pudding mix out there. Same recipe just change the pudding flavors. It actually comes out as a mousse texture and just an awesome taste.
I do a dam around the edges of my cakes when I use this receipe. It is not runny and kind of thick. If you want to mix it longer you won't hurt it.
I add fresh strawberries to the strawberry pudding and I add raspberries to the white chocolate and vanilla puddings. You can get creative once you have this recipe down. I use no other fillings on any of my cakes unless I have a request to just use BC.

Use 2 CUPS of Heavy Whipping Cream NOT 4 CUPS!!!!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you. I am going to give it a try.

I have seen cakes where the filling is like a 1/2 inch thick sheet of chocolate pudding. Not a mousse consistency. Does anyone know how they do that?

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharilynnCakes

Do all the flavors taste cheesy using this?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 7

Lynne3, they might be using a ganache filling?? that is what i am thinking as of your description.Others might reply to this also.hth

TJ_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJ_Cakes Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 7

SharilynnCakes, your filling recipe sounds wonderful. I have been looking for a recipe for filling for a wedding cake I'm doing this weekend. They want some type of cream cheese in two of the cakes and a cherry with cream cheese in the other. What would you suggest for the pudding flavors and does this have to be kept in the fridge after its filled? Thanks for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%