Need Reassurance!!! First Order For Cookies!!!

Baking By soledad Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 12:43pm by momg9

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 10

I just need reassurance!!!!
I just got a request for pink baby shower cookies. I said yes before finding out how they wanted it. I have only done fondant covered cookies, she wants it covered with sugar icing icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif It wil be for next Friday, she will be bringing the cutter tomorrow so that I can do a practice run to see if she likes it. I suggested it because I want her to see what she will be getting.(I was thinking of doing some cookies for my family anyway)

I really want to do this!!

This is the cookie she wants, 50 of them! I told her it would be $1.50 each . No packaging require.

http://i-heart-baking.blogspot.com/2012/03/whale-cookies.html?m=1

In the samples I will be making, I will to do some fondant cover, maybe they will look better than the icing ones and be persuade to go with it!icon_wink.gif

I am going now to my cookie heroines blogs and get the best icing recipe!Wish me luck!. icon_eek.gif

CIAO!

9 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:18am
post #2 of 10

How big are the cookies? $1.50 seems inexpensive. Royal icing on cookies is not difficult, it's just like frosting a cake. Good luck, have fun!

soledad Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:34am
post #3 of 10

Thank you!

I will try first the recipe that has meringue powder by Sweetsugarbelle.

Good luck to me! icon_lol.gif

CIAO!

dandymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandymom Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:44am
post #4 of 10

Those are super cute and should be super easy to do. They are a simple design to do with royal icing.

Good luck!

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by soledad

Thank you!

I will try first the recipe that has meringue powder by Sweetsugarbelle.

Good luck to me! icon_lol.gif

CIAO!

Make sure you try the royal icing on a cookie before you sell them. Sometimes royal icing can taste funny.

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:54am
post #6 of 10

I agree that doing it with fondant would be much easier. I find it dificult to get RI totally smooth. Maybe she'll like it!

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 2:12am
post #7 of 10

Just take your time and give yourself an extra day just incase!! You never know what might happen. I did the same thing you did I got so excited about getting my first cookie order ( for my DD preschool graduation) that I said sure and only charged $1.00 per cookie. Well thats before I found out they wanted 250! I even came up with a couple of designs and before I knew it she wanted both. Stuck my big 'ol foot in right in my mouth (oh they were 6 in cookies!!) I only got 200 done 30 min before we had to be at the graduation. I had given myself plenty of time if my oven had not gone out and I had to drive to my moms! They turned out great but wish I had of had more time and money!!!

soledad Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 6:33am
post #8 of 10

Thank all, for your support! icon_smile.gif
This is an update!! I got into more trouble!!! icon_cry.gif As I mention I did my samples before I got the cutter because I wanted to try doing the RI and see how my piping would be and how the icing would taste. (sweetsugarbelle recipe is great!!!) I also wanted to see if my outlining of the cookie would be steady all around the cookie.(It was not too bad icon_redface.gif , not good enought for me)
I also made my pretty fondant little whale cookie, they looked so pretty!!! I had to make a card stock paper template and handcut the whale, the cookies were 3in high x4in. (I just was so anxious to see if I could do the request!!) When the cutters finally came three days later on Monday morning I see that it is a MINI whale cutter! Well I receive the cookie cutter, thinking to myself, I will just make her some extra cookies for her order and sent her off with my samples so that they could taste the cookies.
I did not think any of it, but twenty minutes later I get a call saying her daughter love them but that wants it in the size that I had made them!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I tried to make her understand how difficult and time consuming it is to handcut them. but she insisted having them in that size. Since I wanted to do this order, I said OK, so off I went looking for a bigger cutter which I did not find and there is no time to sent for it icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Anyway to finish the story I did manage to make the whale cutter.

Perfectcakebyshirley : they really liked the fondant better.
ibeeflower: the RI came perfect!
dandymom: on seeing the design I though the same thing "easy to do"
norasmom: I really wanted to do it, so I thought with that quote I would get the job... I did, so mission acomplish . (next time I will charge more!)
momofjaic: I am planing to have them ready by Thursday evening, at the moment I am right on schedule. (Hopping everything goes as planned)
Cookies are already bake! Fondant is also made, just waiting for Thursday evening to start decorating!
I am so happy!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thank you all for caring!!

CIAO!

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 11:57am
post #9 of 10

Did you bake the cookies yet? I like to put the fondant on right after taking the cookies out of the oven, cause then they kinda melt on, and you don't have to worry about attaching them. Good luck!

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 10

I hope you raised the price with enlarging the cookie. They are a lot of work and there is nothing worse than getting about midway through and realizing you charged way to little for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%