Economical (Cheap) Way To Frost 200 Cupcakes

Baking By Valeriaa Updated 15 Jun 2012 , 6:52pm by BakingIrene

Valeriaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valeriaa Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 43

Hi there, just stumbled across this great site. I need help....have somehow found myself saying I would make 200 cupcakes for my sons school pic nic which falls on his 10th birthday. I am not a baker/decorator..have picked up boxed cakemixes, liners and ziplock bags so I can start baking them and freezing.

My concern now is the frosting...seems like every recipe I look at its going to cost a fortune to ice. Not planning on doing anything fancy, just ofcourse want them frosted on top...anybody have any tips for icing recipes that go along way....

thanks icon_smile.gif

42 replies
SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 43

I would make a glaze and dip each cupcake into it and then put some sprinkles on top. Faster and cheaper than buttercream.

Here is a video of a lady doing it, you can find many different recipes online

If you want buttercream you can substitute half of the butter with Crisco to save money and get a piping tip and watch videos online to frost them quickly.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 43

Does anyone have recipes or link to great recipes for cupcake glazes? I'm interested in this now. I normally do a flat layer of BC with a spatula on cupcakes when i have hundreds to do but the glaze sounds like it might be faster.

Valeriaa Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 43

Thank you!!! I will go for the glaze and looking at that video looks like I can just dip them very quickly and add some sparkles and be good to go!!!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 43

Respectfully disagree - I can pipe 6 dozen cupcakes in the time it takes me to evenly glaze one dozen! It's messy. M-E-S-S-Y. And I do this almost every day.

Icing is what it is, you can get inexpensive butter/shortening and larger bags of powdered sugar from a restaurant supply store like Cash & Carry or Smart & Final (where they don't require a license to join) or Costco. I'd be more concerned about how many batches you will have to make at home to make enough icing, since you don't have a nice big Hobart commercial mixer to do it for you! For 200 cupcakes I estimate 9 pounds of butter (or 50/50 shortening/butter) and 18 lbs of powdered sugar. This isn't the style of icing I make regularly at my bakery, I'm guessing. It shouldn't be more then $30 retail, which is not that bad.

BUT If you have a Sams Club or Wal Mart I've read here on CC that they will sell you their icing in a bucket from their bakery department for pretty inexpensive, it's like 10 or 20 pounds or something.

If anything you can ask their bakery department if you can have one of their old empty icing buckets to help storage of yours.

Good luck!

FromScratchSF Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 43

I just watched a a little of the video posted - and wow, do I completely disagree - she is staking 20-30 seconds just to dip one cupcake! That'll take for ever to do on the quantity you need.

She is either using a petit four glaze, which is tricky to make (several different recipes, I like Martha Stewart's) or she took cans of store bought vanilla frosting (Pilsburry etc) and melted it down. Neither are an inexpensive solution. And no way is it fast.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 43

Hmmm it is true. The time taken in the glaze video to dip and re-dip and re-dip one cupcake seems very long. Best you make a more affordable buttercream recipe.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I just watched a a little of the video posted - and wow, do I completely disagree - she is staking 20-30 seconds just to dip one cupcake! That'll take for ever to do on the quantity you need.

She is either using a petit four glaze, which is tricky to make (several different recipes, I like Martha Stewart's) or she took cans of store bought vanilla frosting (Pilsburry etc) and melted it down. Neither are an inexpensive solution. And no way is it fast.

Oh boy, I cannot agree more. Do not use this method if you are looking for fast and easy.

I love my Wilton tip 1M for frosting cupcakes, takes about 5 seconds or less for a beautifully presented cupcake. Follow FromScratch's very good (albeit ironic icon_cool.gif)advice and buy a tub of frosting from Sam's, and it will probably be cheaper than buying straight ingredients - and the kids will love it. Have you thought about how you're going to transport all those cupcakes? BRP Boxshop is one source many people use for cupcake boxes.

*FromScratch, I'm just having fun, I was laughing at myself while I was typing "take FromScratch's advice to buy a tub of icing!" It's good advice in this situation. icon_smile.gif

Valeriaa Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 43

hi

ok., so now im sooo confused what to do LOL I am assuming that I cant ice the cupcakes and freeze them?? I wish that I could go to walmart and just buy a huge bucket of icing but Im in canada and while the walmart close to me does have food/grocerys there is no bakery so that option is out..... darn... I am going to put my thinking cap on to see if I can find a grocery store that will sell me a big bucket. I only have a small mix master and just dont think that would do to make the quanity that I need and have it ready on the day I need it before noon. IF i can buy the icing then I would just get an icing bag with a big tip and then try and do my best with that......if I cant find a place to sell me the icing then... i just dont know.....kinda sorry I said I would do this....glutton for punishment I think...

thanks for your input, really appreciate it!!!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:27am
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeriaa

hi

I only have a small mix master and just dont think that would do to make the quanity that I need and have it ready on the day I need it before noon.

You can make you icing days in advance. Just keep it sealed in the refrigerator until you use it. Just let it come to room temperature and decorate.

kelleym Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:28am
post #11 of 43

You can also freeze it weeks or months in advance, as long as it's stored properly.

Not sure what shipping would be like to Canada, but frosting can also be ordered online. I've tried Dixie's and it's fine. http://www.dixiesicing.com/
(aw, just saw that Dixie's doesn't ship to Canada, sorry!!! icon_redface.gif )

Throwing yourself on the mercy of the manager of your local grocery store might be your best bet, ask to purchase a bucket or for them to order you an extra one if there's time.

FromScratchSF Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:34am
post #12 of 43

[quote="kelleym"]

Quote:

*FromScratch, I'm just having fun, I was laughing at myself while I was typing "take FromScratch's advice to buy a tub of icing!" It's good advice in this situation. icon_smile.gif

For realz, I know right??? Glad the irony did not get lost and someone was paying attention icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:48am
post #13 of 43

Or if you are worried about storage, ask them for one of their empty buckets from their icing that they normally throw away - at least you'll have something food safe to add your several batches of icing to. OR get one of those Home Depot $2 orange buckets and use that. Wash it really well first, of course.

As for icing, for a large event like this I get under the bed storage boxes. Take all my unfrosted cupcakes out of the freezer and pack them all in (single layer), fill 4 or 5 piping bags and ice away. I think I can fit about 120 -130 cupcakes in one of those, they even come with a lid. It takes less then 10 minutes to pipe simple swirls for the whole box. I got the boxes at Target for $12 or so bucks I think? Your cupcakes won't fall over and you can literally roll the box to the car if it's too heavy or awkward to carry. 2 boxes stack on one another and they should fit in the trunk of your car.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:38am
post #14 of 43
SoFloGuy Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:56am
post #15 of 43

[quote="kelleym"]

Quote:

I love my Wilton tip 1M for frosting cupcakes, takes about 5 seconds or less for a beautifully presented cupcake.

It takes you 5 seconds because you have been doing it for a long time, have a lot of practice and know how to do it. For a novice, chances are it's going to take you a long time for each cupcake if they even turn out half way decent. Not only does a novice not know how to hold the bag and how much pressure to use, you don't know how or if to hold the cupcake or how to frost it in an even swirl. For a novice their first one will take 5 minutes and the 200th one will take 4:59 icon_lol.gif

The first time I tried to frost a cupcake with the 1M tip I gave up and just spread the frosting with a butter knife. I also think that transporting and handling/setting up a cupcake with a glazed top is easier and less messy than a buttercream one. By all means she should try the buttercream one, for taste you can't beat it, even if it's spread with a knife it tastes great. icon_biggrin.gif cover up any frosting mistakes with sprinkles too.

kelleym Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:13am
post #16 of 43

[quote="SoFloGuy"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Quote:

I love my Wilton tip 1M for frosting cupcakes, takes about 5 seconds or less for a beautifully presented cupcake.

It takes you 5 seconds because you have been doing it for a long time, have a lot of practice and know how to do it. For a novice, chances are it's going to take you a long time for each cupcake if they even turn out half way decent. Not only does a novice not know how to hold the bag and how much pressure to use, you don't know how or if to hold the cupcake or how to frost it in an even swirl. For a novice their first one will take 5 minutes and the 200th one will take 4:59 icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif Well it doesn't hurt that my first job was at a Dairy Queen. I think all that practice making ice cream cones really came in handy 20 years later when it came time to try to master the 1M. icon_lol.gif

I know you're really just trying to upset the status quo around here, and I respect that, but there is no way that frosting one cupcake with a 1M can take 5:00 unless there is some serious impairment on the part of the operator. But don't worry, we see eye to eye on a lot of other things, so it's cool. icon_lol.gif

SoFloGuy Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:28am
post #17 of 43
Quote:

icon_lol.gif Well it doesn't hurt that my first job was at a Dairy Queen. I think all that practice making ice cream cones really came in handy 20 years later when it came time to try to master the 1M. icon_lol.gif

I know you're really just trying to upset the status quo around here, and I respect that, but there is no way that frosting one cupcake with a 1M can take 5:00 unless there is some serious impairment on the part of the operator. But don't worry, we see eye to eye on a lot of other things, so it's cool. icon_lol.gif

Yeah, I was joking about the 5 minutes, but it will be faster for a novice to just dip the cupcakes in icing than trying to frost them to look good with a piping tip. A waiter can easily carry 6 drinks on a tray with one hand, but you can't if you don't have practice and know how to balance it. Just like you said about the ice cream, I'm sure your first cone didn't look perfect and it took you a while to get it right, but after that you could do it with your eyes closed. I'm not trying to upset anything, it's just that people (not you) get bent out of shape when they have a different opinion from their own.

kelleym Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:33am
post #18 of 43

Takes this lady about 8-10 seconds, doing it as a good demonstration.

If the OP decides to go this way, it doesn't matter if they are perfect or even close to perfect. It's just an easy way to get frosting on the cupcake. If you've ever served yourself soft-serve at a salad bar, I am confident you'll be ok. icon_wink.gif

SoFloGuy Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:36am
post #19 of 43
Quote:

If you've ever served yourself soft-serve at a salad bar, I am confident you'll be ok. icon_wink.gif

I did and my salad got all soggy. icon_lol.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:46am
post #20 of 43

So you have a friend or neighbor that has a kitchen aide or other good stand mixer you can borrow for an evening? That would open up your options. You can make the icing now or anytime before the event and freeze. You can get your baking done any time before the event and freeze then. If you have freezer room you can ice them and freeze them decorated if you want. The swirl is easy peasy if you make a batch ahead of time, watch a couple of you tube videos and give it a little practice ahead of time so you aren't stressed a the last minute. I prefer the 2D tip, I think it looks like the 1M but uses less icing. I think when I measured it took about 1 tablespoon for one cupcake. Take that times 200 and you have your amount. I am not at home to do the calculations but it really goes a long way if you don't do a double swirl and really pile it up. One simple swirl is enough without going crazy. Plus the more icing would be messier to transport, serve and eat. You can do this!

denetteb Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:52am
post #21 of 43

By the way, I have never glazed so can't comment on which would be easier for a newbie. Google is my friend. The way I do my swirls would take about 12.5 cups of icing or a double batch. The recipe I use has part butter, part shortening (with transfats), flavoring and powdered sugar. It really isn't that expensive to make if that is the way you decide to go.

SoFloGuy Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:22am
post #22 of 43
Quote:

She does it fast, but I've seen videos of people doing it faster and with a nicer look. I think this lady puts too much frosting on them, the frosting is almost the same height as the cupcake.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:08am
post #23 of 43

Just make buttercream and spread it on with a knife. Then once it's crusted, you can ziplock and freeze them. 10-year-old boys don't care in the slightest what their cupcake looks like, and won't want to eat a giant pile of icing. That way, you won't need to make as much icing, and you can stack them on top of each other for transporting. Keep it really easy for yourself.

kelleym Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:33am
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloGuy

Quote:

She does it fast, but I've seen videos of people doing it faster and with a nicer look. I think this lady puts too much frosting on them, the frosting is almost the same height as the cupcake.

Now you're just having fun. icon_lol.gif

SoFloGuy Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:45am
post #25 of 43
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloGuy

Quote:

Now you're just having fun. icon_lol.gif

icon_biggrin.gifparty.gifthumbs_up.gifking.gif

vonnie222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie222 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:03pm
post #26 of 43

Chocolate ganache. One batch should do about 48 cupcakes. No mixer involved. Dip the tops into the ganache when it's warm but not hot. I use the ganache 1 recipe from here all the time. When it gets to cool to dip properly, microwave for a few seconds to rewarm. Add sprinkles of choice or other decorations. Recipe easily doubles. I even use it as a filling to pipe into the cupcakes. I buy the plastic carriers from Global sugar, holds 24, can stack 3-4 tall with no problem, and best of all, each well that the cupcake sits down in is about 2" deep so they don't tip or squish each other.

Valeriaa Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:48pm
post #27 of 43

WOW, Tthanks to all of you for your excellent suggestions and your humor! Also thanks for understanding that i am clearly out of my comfort zone on this LOL

Like one of the posters mentioned, this is just for a bunch of ten year olds who are going to be pleased to get a cupcake and thankfully wont be to concerned that they are not bakery perfect. I still have a week to go so Im starting to bake today and am going to do a few with a glaze to see how it looks with sparkles and may borrow a good mixer and try a real icing.

So..I was told by someone that I couldnt ice them and freeze them, but I see that a few posters here are saying it would be ok to? That would really solve my dilema as then I could do them all week and be all ready for Friday. If I did that then I will just spread the icing or glaze on top and put them into zip locks for the freezer. Just found out now my hubby has a surgeons appt that day so now I have to have them ready by nine in the morning in order to get them to the pic nic and him to his appt. So unless I hear I will poison them by freezing them all iced thats the way I think I should go.

again, thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to answer the questions.

I have the transporting thing all figured out atleast. Have whole bunch of cherry boxes that have four sides but sides are only a few inches high so can put them in there and have huge roll of saran wrap so will cover them and have a whole big back seat of truck to lay the boxes out in and on floor of back seat as well. icon_smile.gif

Valeriaa Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 5:49pm
post #28 of 43

ok, wasnt thinking to much about freezing once iced...guess if I do that I would need to find containers as how would I get them into zip lock bags all iced>>> hmmm....to early for me right now...LOL anyways as usual for me I am spending to much time trying to think of every possible way to do things...got to take kid to a bday party and after that I am home for the day/evening and am going to start baking them!! Atleast Im confident I can make boxed cake mix cupcakes icon_smile.gif

denetteb Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 1:27am
post #29 of 43

You can definitely freeze cupcakes uniced or iced. If I were you I would make a batch of cupcakes and give a try with the glaze or a bag and a 1m or 2D tip. Decide which way you want to go. If you go with the icing swirl, which takes me much less time and looks way better than using a knife, I would get all the cuppies baked and pop into the freezer. Then the night before, set out all your boxes and put in all of your cuppies. Then while the cuppies are sitting in the boxes, give them each a swirl. You don't even need to take them out of the box. And you can have the icing all made ahead of time and frig or freeze till you are ready to do the piping. The icing does need to be at room temp when you are doing the piping. Once you have the swirl on, just leave them on the counter till the delivery the next morning. No need to tightly cover them. Just lightly cover to kind of keep the dust off. My computer isn't letting me do a search but if you search icing bullet it will give you an easier way to handle the icing bag. Basically you plop a pile of icing on a sheet of saran wrap and roll it into a tube. So you can make a bunch of these up. Then take one bullet, cut the end open and put in into your bag. Ice away and when it is empty toss the saran and pop another one in. It keeps the mess WAY down and you won't have to deal with icing going out the back end of the bag.

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 1:31am
post #30 of 43

If you aren't worried about how they look, and you want to save money, you don't even need a tip. You can just cut the tip of the piping bag off. You can even use a sandwich bag instead of an actual piping bag if you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%