Need A Good Cupcake Recipe

Baking By smile22 Updated 10 Oct 2012 , 10:43pm by sophymalik

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 6

i need a good cupcake recipe i use (gasp cake box mixes but i doctor them up by adding pudding and flavorings and fillings to make them taste homemade) i have this book called cupcakes cupcakes. i tried to make the basic vanilla cupcake but something happened and my cupcakes came out more like a strawberry shortcake biscuit.

this was the recipe
3 cups white flour - i used all purpose not sure if its the same
1 table baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4th tea baking soda
1/2 cup butter at room temp
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

325 sift baking powder flour salt and soda, i dont have a siffter so i use a plastic colander and use a spoon to mix it down into the holes ( could that be the reason why they became biscuit?

place butter and sugar and cream together the sugar and butter became graniney i later learned i should have creamed the butter first then added the sugar
gradually add dry and buttermilk untill smooth i did but the batter looked like it had doubled in size fill and bake it makes 12 but this came out to 24 and i still had tons of batter left over

did i do something wrong does anyone have any tips. i dont want to keep spending the money on cake mixes and doctoring them up i want to create my own works of art

5 replies
Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 12:59am
post #2 of 6

I really don't know much about your recipe, but this is the one I use and I LOVE it. It's no fail!

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter
2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla)
1 egg
2 egg whites
1/2 cup whole milk

Mix butter and sugar on high until very well mixed. Add egg and egg whites mixing between each until just combined. Add vanilla and mix until just combined. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Add 1/3 flour mixture, 1/3 milk, alternating and ending with milk.

Bake 350 for 16-19 minutes

This is the best!

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 11:45am
post #3 of 6

so is it all purpose flour or cake flour that you use and does one work better than the other?

LoveonCloudCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveonCloudCupcake Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 6

cake flour and all purpose flour are different. Cake flour is for finer cakes, and a softer crumb. All purpose flour contains a more gluten content. The difference would depend on what type of cake youd like. A softer cake, or tougher. You also have to change the measurements if you are going to sub one for the other. You cant just replace 1/2 cup of all purpose flour for 1/2 cup of cake flour.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 6

I use all-purpose. I've tried different recipes with cake flour and I just prefer all-purpose. The recipe I posted is very moist and soft.

sophymalik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophymalik Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 6

hi there,
i dont have the recipe on me but on the side of the can of nestle highlanders caramel is an AMAZING recipe for chocolate flavored cupcakes with a Delicious caramel filling, it is super easy!
good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%