Will Crusting Viva Buttercream Give Sharp Edges?

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 9 Jun 2012 , 6:54am by sweettreat101

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 6

Will the crusting VIVA buttercream recipe on this site give sharp edges and corners? I have heard good reviews about it. Will it be suitable under fondant cakes to give clean edges?

Any photos of cakes and fondant cakes made with this recipe will be helpful.

5 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 6

Not sure about this specific recipe but I had good luck with the crusting recipe I use. I use a fondant smoother and a printed paper towel.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 6

You use your regular crusting buttercream(of choice) Let it set up a lilttle bit, Then you use your VIVA paper towel and either hands or fondant smoother to smooth your icing. Is this what you are talking about. There is a tutorial on this site of melvira smoothing with a roller, but you do the same with viva and a fondant smoother or hands. hth Is this the recipe you are talking about.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/crusting-buttercream-icing-viva-method

I forgot to say, yes, you can get straight edges (if you know how to get them to start with) and yes, lots of people us b/c and then some have gone to using ganache under there fondant and get even smoother edges. You can google that and see a lady demoing these procedure on youtube . Either way, you have to practice getting the corners clean and straight. I

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:36am
post #4 of 6

Ganache under the fondant will give you a shaper edge if that's what you're looking for. The buttercream can soften up some while you're working the fondant, so make sure it isn't too thick under the fondant, and keep the cake cold until you're ready to cover it.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:16am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all the replies. I have learned through CC and youtube tutorials different methods for getting sharp edges. The wilton buttercream recipe I use doesn't crust but I am willing to experiment with another crusting BC recipe I found here using the paper towel and fondant smoother method.

Ganache is very expensive to make! Imagine factoring ganache into costs for a 4 tier wedding cake. I wonder if anyone in my country would pay for that. I must attempt and see icon_biggrin.gif but i have seen beautiful wedding cakes with a ganache underneath the fondant and I have to admit those are the best-looking cakes.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 6:54am
post #6 of 6

The recipe you are talking about is almost the same as the one I use minus the almond extract. I love that recipe. I have been using this recipe for 12 years. I have tried others and always go back the my old faithful recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%