Wilton Gum-Tex Same As Tylose Powder?

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 5 Mar 2016 , 7:05pm by Kneadtocreate

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 18

I was wondering if the Wilton's gum-tex that you can get at Walmart is the same thing as Tylose powder??? I have never used either but I have been told that it works good adding a little to fondant to make it stiffer for like bows and what not...

Does anyone have any feedback for me?

17 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 18

Wilton Gum-Tex is karaya gum from a tree.

Tylose is a form of carboxymethylcellulose.

They absorb moisture differently and they give a different kid of "stretch" to the paste. They also interact with any gelatin present in fondant in different ways: the properties of different "gummy" ingredients do not simply add up as they are mixed in. The wrong combo of gum and gelatin can actually make the paste very soft.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishalynn0708

I was wondering if the Wilton's gum-tex that you can get at Walmart is the same thing as Tylose powder??? I have never used either but I have been told that it works good adding a little to fondant to make it stiffer for like bows and what not...

Does anyone have any feedback for me?

Not identical, but they will react with fondant in a very similar way. Adding a little to fondant will help it set up faster & harder.

Be careful not to add too much at the start. One recommendation is 1 tsp. to 12 oz. of fondant. That seems about right for Wilton fondant. If you're using another, softer brand, you may need a bit more.

IT WILL NOT WORK WITH DUFF'S OR FONDARIFIC because they're candy melt based and have too much fat to be strongly affected by the gum.

Adding tylose (which is "stronger", so you use less) yields a whiter product. The gum- tex has a slight grey cast to it, but it's not really noticeable.

One trick with it is to deliberately add too much when you want to make something that looks aged--it yields raggedy edges and cracking that works really well for maps.

Rae

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 18

Not to steal the thread, but in the instance of making a graduation cap out of fondant, would I get the same affect from gumpaste alone vs. fondant with Tylose? what would be the pros and cons of each? Whenever I used gumpaste, it was for flowers and it seemed really elastic. I am having a hard time finding tylose for the purpose of making the fondant dry harder.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 18

Yes you could use gp for the grad hat instead of fondant OR you can add some Wilton's GumTex to the fondant to help it dry/harden faster.

blissnaccord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissnaccord Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 4:10am
post #6 of 18

gumtex is a joke and the gumpaste always comes out dry and crumbly....and if you buy some of the Wilton ready made gumpaste look at the ingredients there is no GUMTEX at all there is tylose gum trag and gum arabic but no gumtex LOL if they don't use it why should we

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 18

..........gumtex is a joke and the gumpaste always comes out dry and crumbly.......

then you are adding too much. I have used it often to help fondant dry faster/harder. Yes, it does dry it out some (that is exactly what is suppost to do!) but I have never had it become crumbly.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

..........gumtex is a joke and the gumpaste always comes out dry and crumbly.......

then you are adding too much. I have used it often to help fondant dry faster/harder. Yes, it does dry it out some (that is exactly what is suppost to do!) but I have never had it become crumbly.

Yep, I agree with kakeladi.

Rae

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 12:49am
post #9 of 18

Wilton Gum Tex and Tylose both contain CMC powder or sodium carboxymethyl cellulose.

Wilton Gum-Tex Karaya contains Gum Karaya which is a vegetable gum similar to Gum Tragacanth.

pamelawoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamelawoo Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 18

AI added gum tex to my fondant and it made it soft and crumbly. It was easy to mold but it never got hard. Gum tex and tylose do different things when used with fondant.

pamalbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamalbake Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 18

Is it just the Gum-tex that won't work with fonariffic or tylose too? I need to made my Fondarific firmer. I don't think the gumpaste is working very well.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 18

I always use Wilton Gum-tex for bows. I like it much better then tylose powder.  It's the only wilton product I use

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 18

AI am a beginner decorator and I have had no problem getting my fondant hard using the Gum Tex.

pamalbake Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 18

AIs that using Fondarrific brand? This is the one giving me a challenge . No problem with Satin ice , wilton it mmf. Thanks

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 12:48am
post #15 of 18

Fondarific is candy melt based, so it has a lot more fat than "regular" fondant.  It acts much more like modeling chocolate than fondant.  It does NOT respond to the addition of tylose/cmc/gum trag/gum-tex much, if at all.  I have found nothing that you can add to Fondarific that will make it firm up the way fondant or gum paste will.

pamalbake Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 4:51pm
post #16 of 18

It worked!

I did 3 different samples with gum paste- 50/50, tylose powder and Gum-tex with Fondarific.  It took 2-3 days for the roses , daisies and leaves to firm up and they are not as firm as fondant or gumpaste, but adequate. For those clients who want to eat the decorations, this is acceptable, as mine want to- they do not like the taste of Satin Ice. However, I would not make the big gift package style bow on top of my cake out of it. I wouldn't trust it, it takes so long to firm up, even if the loops were stuffed with cotton or viva. Otherwise, I too, would just use my Satin Ice fondant/ gum paste since it dries so quickly.

I haven't yet tried my Fondarific to cover a cake.  I'll let you know how that goes- worried about the stretch factor for that. 

Taste- wow.  Everyone of the Fondarifics taste fabulous- I ordered samples of every flavor.  My client liked them as did my family.  The Cinnamon Bun- amazing and the Orange, Lemon, melon, and berry- surprisingly really good- very useful if I need these colors instead of adding lots of food coloring and the taste of them complement and not compete with my cake flavor. Would be great for decorations on kids cakes, too- particularly for blue, orange and bright green.  The chocolate is also fabulous :).  

To me and those who have sampled my fondant cakes with Satin Ice- we end up peeling it off, not a pleasant taste or texture.  Not awful but definitely not pleasant - and And the Fondarific doesn't contain Titanium Dioxide, which is in my sunscreen :( . Most of my cakes are buttercream, will see what happens when I cover a test cake with this fondant. Thanks for the replies.

Nanacakesdesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanacakesdesign Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 12:33pm
post #17 of 18

I have mixed the Gumtex alone into Marshmallow fondant for smaller / simpler items to good effect. For flowers and larger bows, grad hats, etc I mix in the GumTex well and then work in a teaspoon of GLUCOSE. It resolves the crumbling effect of the GumTex and also increases your working time. The flowers etc set up extremely firm and less likely to crack or crumble. Hope this helps. Nanacakes

Kneadtocreate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kneadtocreate Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 7:05pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you for this response.  It was very helpful for me too.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%