Rice For 200 People?

Lounge By ziggytarheel Updated 12 Jun 2012 , 1:26am by AnnieCahill

ziggytarheel Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 11

I've not found a solid answer to this question in my google searches, so I thought I would turn to you helpful ladies and gentlemen!

We are working plans for my daughter's wedding reception and are likely going with a part self-catered, part restaurant catered meal (this is allowed at our venue, as long as we purchase an insurance policy for the event). One of the options we are looking at for self-catering is rice. We may be serving chicken kabobs and rice seemed like a good fit and not as expensive or labor intensive as many options. But, I can't find information I feel is solid on how to pull this off?

We can't get into the venue until 2 and a half hours before the reception will start, and due to the distance from the church and the timing, none of the wedding party will be able to help set up. We'll have friends taking care of that for us, as well as our self-catering options. Unfortunately, as much as we love the venue, the kitchen has one stove and one refrigerator. I was looking at baking the rice in large pans, but I wasn't sure about this. Here's the thing: we will likely have 200+ guests.

Do you think this is a good option to try? Or are we asking for trouble with this one. There would not be any other need to use the stove at the venue.

Thanks for any insight you can give me!

10 replies
BakingIrene Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 11

You should cook the rice at home, on the day before the wedding. Pile it into your large pans for transportation, and cover with foil after it cools.

Then you add a little water and reheat in the oven onsite. Use a moderate oven temperature 300-325F but give it enough time to heat through. How long? depends on the thickness in the pan and how cold it was to start.

It comes out just like fresh steamed rice. You will be very pleased with it. Good luck with the rest of your catering.

ziggytarheel Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 10:39am
post #3 of 11

Thanks so much! I think I'll give that a trial run (on a much smaller scale). That was very helpful.

dillonsmimi Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 11

I reheat rice in the micro, but will be trying the oven method (thx Irene)
Tip: however you cook or reheat it, never stir (I do gently rearrange with a fork) or you will have a gummy mess.
Alton Brown has a very good tutorial on this subject.

ziggytarheel Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonsmimi

Alton Brown has a very good tutorial on this subject.

Thanks for the response! Is this tutorial about cooking rice in general, or about cooking in large quantities or about reheating?

dillonsmimi Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 11:17am
post #6 of 11

Making perfect rice in general.
It is a tutorial/show on his series Good Eats.

mimi

OBTW... to make such a large amt I highly recommend that you break it down into smaller portions and lay out thin on a large baking sheet to cool.
More manageable ya know?

m.

suzylynn58 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 12:13pm
post #7 of 11

I agree you should do smaller size containers if doing it ahead. I do catering and had to take the ServSafe class. Rice is a food that can be a food safety hazard if not handled properly. Just be sure to cool it down quickly and when reheating, reheat to 160 degrees.

AnnieCahill Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 11

You need to be EXTREMELY careful about storing rice. Make sure it is either cold or hot. Rice sitting around at room temperature is deadly. No joke. A few of my best friends work for the health department and they are all the time citing local restaurants for improper holding temperatures for rice. When rice is at room temperature spores grow and they release toxins which can cause extreme illness. Chances are, if someone eats sush/sashimi and gets sick, it's not the fish that makes them sick (in the case of the rolls), but the rice because it was stored at improper holding temperatures.

ziggytarheel Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 11

This is all GREAT information. Thanks to all of you!

soledad Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 12:52am
post #10 of 11

I am sorry I can not be of help, but since all of you are so helpful...allow me to ask a question.

I use a rice cooker and usually leave the rice that is left over in the same pot, till the next day, so this is a NO... NO? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif
I never though anything wrong with it because it does not have any sauce nor meat in it. I only cook it with salt, oil and water.

I learn so much with all of you!

Thank you!

CIAO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%