coleslawcat Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 11:58am
post #1 of

I'm making a dairy free cake for my niece. I'm used to modifying recipes to make them gluten free so I'm sure I can figure this out, but what is the best substitute for butter? I made a dairy free cake before and used oil and it was fine, but I was wondering if shortening or those dairy free Earth's Balance sticks might be a better substitute. The last dairy free cake I made had to be soy free as well which is why I went with canola oil.

Also, anyone happen to know if butter flavor is dairy free? I was thinking of adding some if I went with the shortening, but not unless I'm sure it's safe. I"ll call the manufacturer on that one if no one knows, but it's Wilton brand.

4 replies
MsGF Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 12:34pm
post #2 of

You can substitute Crisco All Vegetable Shortening in place of butter in cake recipes. I do it all the time without any trouble. The Earth Balance butter substitute has a strong flavor and may change the flavor and texture of the cake. I would use the shortening, it doesn't change the flavor. Also the Wilton Brand of Artificial Butter Flavor is dairy free.

Have fun and happy baking.

coleslawcat Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 2:02pm
post #3 of

Thanks! I'll use the shortening and butter flavoring. Too bad I can't make my regular buttercream. At least it's easy to sub in shortening in that too.

jason_kraft Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 2:50pm
post #4 of

We use both shortening (Sweetex Z) and margarine (Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks) for our dairy-free frosting, customers can't tell that it's dairy-free.

scp1127 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 7:24am
post #5 of

Same as Jason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%