Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloGuy

Quote:

Quote:

What a coincidence. I would ask to see the wristband that they put on you when you go in the hospital.

Not sure how useful this would be. .

It's incredibly useful. It tells you if they are telling the truth or just wasting your time.

Look at the results of asking that question for both cases. In either case you end up with a customer who hates you: either for being forced to show proof to a baker that they were in the hospital, or for being caught in a lie.

If they were in the hospital I would apologize for doubting them and explain that the coincidence of this happening on their way to you seemed odd, if they hated me for them being caught in a lie I would not care.

What do you do if a customer is dodging you for and order that is due in a week and tells you on their way to you that they ended up in the ER? If you cancel their order because "you think" they are lying they will certainly hate you.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:14am
post #32 of 42
Quote:

What do you do if a customer is dodging you for and order that is due in a week and tells you on their way to you that they ended up in the ER?

I would probably give the customer 24 hours to send the deposit before their order was cancelled, but it would never get to this point since the order would have been cancelled earlier in the process if the customer was continually dodging.

Quote:
Quote:

If you cancel their order because "you think" they are lying they will certainly hate you.

Who says you tell them you think they are lying? Their order would be cancelled because they failed to pay the deposit by the deadline. Keep it professional.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:18am
post #33 of 42

[quote="jason_kraft"]

Quote:

Who says you tell them you think they are lying? Their order would be cancelled because they failed to pay the deposit by the deadline. Keep it professional.

They are still gonna hate you regardless of the reason, and chances are they are going to ask for another chance to continue the order, and they are going to tell people that you cancelled the order because on the way to pay you the bride got an appendicitis attack. icon_lol.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:22am
post #34 of 42
Quote:

They are still gonna hate you regardless of the reason

Not if you keep it professional. Allowing the customer to save face even when they are at fault can pay dividends down the road. (Within reason, of course.)

Quote:
Quote:

chances are they are going to ask for another chance to continue the order.

If there is still enough time before the event that could be an option. Now that the customer knows you are serious, scheduling one more appointment with the requirement that the contract be signed and paid in full at that meeting might work.

SoFloGuy Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 3:26am
post #35 of 42
Quote:

Quote:

They are still gonna hate you regardless of the reason

Not if you keep it professional. Allowing the customer to save face even when they are at fault can pay dividends down the road. (Within reason, of course.)

Note to self: Don't get into the cupcake business. I would be like the soup nazi but instead it would be .....No Cupcake For You!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:02am
post #36 of 42

Okay..she's using the excuse of being in the hospital as why she can't pay.
I'd have to make a phone call.
"So sorry to hear about your illness. Will you be cancelling the wedding? "
" Ah, no."
"So, you still want the cup cakes?"
"Yes!"
Well, I'm not sure. Are you willing to get me my cash by 5pm today? Cause due to your health issues and lack of diligence in payment, I think it would be best if I cancelled your order and returned your deposit if I don't have the full amount by tonight."
"Uhhh....."

Ball in your court, Bride.

mommachris

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:27am
post #37 of 42

awww... come on. Who said the BRIDE/ patient had to pay?

Accept no excuses or sob story. She has a fiance, mother, father, in-laws, maid of honor, aunt, cousin, friend or someone who could run the really important errand of paying for the cupcakes IF SHE INTENDED TO PAY.

SoFloGuy Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 4:47am
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

She has a fiance, mother, father, in-laws, maid of honor, aunt, cousin, friend or someone who could run the really important errand of paying for the cupcakes IF SHE INTENDED TO PAY.

Yes, but does she have an appendix? icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 5:13am
post #39 of 42

Simple enough. Call the hospital and ask the receptionist for an update on her condition. If she's not there, they'll say so.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 7:06am
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Simple enough. Call the hospital and ask the receptionist for an update on her condition. If she's not there, they'll say so.

Not necessarily true. Due to HIPAA laws, patients can choose how much information they want released to people calling to inquire about their condition. If you choose not to have any information released they can't even tell anyone on the phone whether you are in the hospital or not.

On a side note, I happen to think the customer is full of it.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 8:36am
post #41 of 42

I have a simple rule , no cashy , no bakey

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 11:07am
post #42 of 42

Hahaha Ekaba totally (and unwittingly) hijacked this thread! The original post wasn't even about cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%