Making My Fondant Look Like Real Wood

Decorating By rozedcj Updated 7 Jun 2012 , 2:12pm by rozedcj

rozedcj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozedcj Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hi guys!
I have an order for a fathers day cake, the dad is a carpenter i had the idea for a wood carpenters bench. Im trying to figure out what the best way would be to go about making the wood fondant for the bench. Does anyone have any suggestions?

7 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 8

You need 3 colours of fondant--light brown, dark brown and cream. You don't have to knead the colours in all the way--leave them streaky if you are colouring your own.

Take a 1" thick log of each and twist them together, then fold them over in half. Then roll this out. You will magically get woodgrain that runs all the way through.

You can then use a small tool to add "knots" or other texture

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 8

Adding to the above answer, you might want to also "paint" it afterwards with a mixture of brown and vodka. If you look at my cakes, I have a Toy Story cake that I did just that to create a wood floor look,

If you don't want to go to the trouble of mixing the different fondant colours, this tutorial has instructions on how to make wood. It's for a different type of cake, but the wood portion would apply.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/instruction_sheets/2012_05_29_19NXXI41_Beer%20Cooler.htm

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 8

There's some tricks to it that involve more than just painting. You want to pull some of the paint back off to give that true stained appearance. I'm a bit of a wood geek and LOVE making it. I don't know why.

AZCouture Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 8

Really...I love little details like this.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 8

I let the rolled fondant dry a bit then use a faux wood grain roller (Home Depot) dipped in vodka/brown powder color and use it to "paint" on the wood grain & knots.

rozedcj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozedcj Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 8

omg! thank you guys! this is so helpful! @ AZCotour i love love love those cakes!!! the piano and bench are beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%