What Is Decoupage For Cakes?

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 8 Jun 2012 , 12:25am by Pearl645

Pearl645 Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 8

Hi CCers,

I came across this term "decoupage" used on cakes with rice paper. Has anyone used it successfully and what is it recommended for. Any tutorials out there on this as well?

7 replies
DeniseNH Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 8

I use to paint and decoupage means to paint on wood then apply a finish to it to prevent the paint from chipping off - as in coasters or trays. Back in the 80's decoupaging items with a Pennsylvania Dutch motif was very popular and a lot of the same designs could be painted onto fondant. I guess it would mean painting flowers, leaves and stems onto a fondant cake surface??? (with edible food coloring of course).

kakeladi Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 8

I have made some cakes using the method. It consists of making a decoration using at least 3 layers of wafer paper for a 2-D effect (3-d would be stand up, 2-d is multipule layers but are flat on a cake). I'm not usre I still have any pix icon_sad.gif

shanter Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 8

From Wikipedia:
Decoupage (or découpage) is the art of decorating an object by gluing colored paper cutouts onto it in combination with special paint effects, gold leaf and so on. Commonly an object like a small box or an item of furniture is covered by cutouts from magazines or from purpose-manufactured papers. Each layer is sealed with varnishes (often multiple coats) until the "stuck on" appearance disappears and the result looks like painting or inlay work. The traditional technique used 3040 layers of varnish which were then sanded to a polished finish. This was known in 18th century England as the art of Japanning after its presumed origins.

Obviously it would be different for cakes--using colored or printed wafer paper, maybe brush on a little piping gel, stick the wafer paper bit to the cake, and seal over the top with another light coating of piping gel. The wafer paper bits can be separate, or touch, or overlap--whatever your desired design. You could do a plaid design with differently colored wafer paper. Do some test methods just on a flat piece of fondant--maybe you need something different from piping gel (but water will melt/krinkle the wafer paper).

FromScratchSF Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 12:53am
post #5 of 8

I have used rice paper decoupae on several cakes. I love the look, it;s very unique.

ajwonka Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 2:46am
post #6 of 8

I've never heard of this! If anyone finds a picture I'd love to see it!

FromScratchSF Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 2:55am
post #7 of 8


Pearl645 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 12:25am
post #8 of 8

Wow! I love that photo. This is a great technique to use. Glad to get so many responses from people who have used this method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%