Fondant/rkt/modelling Chocolate As Decoration?

Decorating By myxstorie Updated 6 Jun 2012 , 7:51pm by BakingIrene

myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 2

I recently made an incubator cake for a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit fundraiser, complete with edible baby (yes, I am aware of the creep factor, and yes, I have had more than enough of hearing about it XD;; ). I've just been contacted by someone wanting me to make the baby again, for them to keep.

My question is, will the ingredients I used last? The base for the head and body was RKT (just rice krispies and marshmallow), the blanket is fondant and the face is modelling chocolate. My main worry is the modelling chocolate, how do you think that would hold up over time?

Oh, and there's a close-up shot here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=238830929559472&set=a.195309427244956.39334.195293110579921&type=3&theater

1 reply
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 2

Cute baby. Nice idea.

I have done this many times with gelatin gumpaste (gelatin, water, corn syrup, powdered sugar NO crisco or glycerine) You can use carved foam shapes for the baby's head and body (in place of RKT). It will dry utterly hard and will last several years depending on how they store it. The pink may fade over time but the sugar will be rock hard if it is kept dry.

Put the baby onto a base plaque decorated like a bedsheet that sits on the fondant-iced cake. That way it is lifted off to become the souvenir when the cake is cut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%