Attach Ribbon Or Fondant?

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 6 Jun 2012 , 5:13pm by Crazboutcakes

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 10:32am
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding cake coming up, not sure if i'm going to use fondant to wrap around the bottom of the cake or ribbon...

Does anyone have a preference they could give me? And how do you attach both so that I know in advance what I will need to do...

3 replies
dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 4

I have used both fondant ribbon & satin ribbon on my cakes & I think the satin ribbon looks for elegant on wedding cakes. I just used a little bit of piping gel to adhere the satin ribbon to my fondant cake. If you use fondant ribbon, just use a little bit of water to attach.

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 4

How would you attached ribbon on buttercream cake? My cake is 4 inch high - what should the wide of the ribbon be. I am doing 3 tier wedding cake for this weekend. Thanks for your responses!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by believer

How would you attached ribbon on buttercream cake? My cake is 4 inch high - what should the wide of the ribbon be. I am doing 3 tier wedding cake for this weekend. Thanks for your responses!

It depends on the design you are plaining to do but on a personal note I would not go any more than 1 1/2 " of ribbon on any cake. And as far as attaching the ribbon, do your cake as planned and once the BC has set just put the ribbon on the basse of each tier and place a small dab of buttercream or royal icing on where the seam of the ribbons is to come together and that is it, very simple.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%