Can I Attach Royal Icing Decorations To A Fondant Cake?

Decorating By DaisyCakesbyMaddi Updated 27 Mar 2014 , 1:15pm by cramos

DaisyCakesbyMaddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyCakesbyMaddi Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 1:05am
post #1 of 3

I am making a fairly short notice wonky cake for a customer, who wants it to be really eclectic and out there with bold shapes and colors. I was wondering, as I have minimal experience with RI on cakes, can I add RI deco's to my fondant cake using RI transfer method for more detailed shapes and images?
I was also thinking of attaching some more 3D deco's to the cake (flowers, outbursts etc.) and was wondering if RI would work for this as well.
If RI is a good option, what would be the best way of attaching it to the fondant?

PS. I'm sure (even though I have never used it) gum paste would be a good option, but as this is short order and I live in a small town, I can't get myself anywhere to buy ingredients or pre-made (plus I have a no experimenting on customers policy...for good reason, lol)

THANKS! Hope to get replies asap!

2 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 1:26am
post #2 of 3

Absolutely, you can use royal icing deco pieces on fondant. Glue them on with more royal icing!

cramos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cramos Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 3

I am making a fondant covered "rock candy" themed cake. My question is- what is the best way for me to attach the rock candy crystals to the cake so that they do not fall off? I want to have the crystals start at the base and go up the sides of the tiers. The customer has opted to pick up the cake instead of having it delivered so I want to really be sure that nothing falls off in transit. I also want to be sure that whatever I use does not require that the candy be picked off the cake before serving- I want the customer to be able to serve the pieces with the candy attached. It should also be something that will be neat and not ruin the fondant covering.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%