Do You Ever Have People Touch Your Cakes?

Decorating By SammieB Updated 15 Jun 2012 , 8:07pm by jason_kraft

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 17

Just curious, but does this happen to people often? I made an ice chest/fish cake (pic in my gallery) for my brother-in-law's wedding this past weekend, and some people thought it was a real fish. I'm more than happy to take that as a compliment, especially since I don't get to cake all that often. But I was surprised to have people actually poke at it to see if it was real or not, even after they had been told it was cake! My brother-in-law ended up freezing it anyway b/c he thought it was too cool to eat, but I just thought it was kind of crazy to go sticking fingers onto other people's perfectly edible fish cake. icon_smile.gif Still, it was a lot of fun to see people be that interested in it.

16 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 17

I have never seen an adult poke my cake, but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to yell at them, just like I do with their kids.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 17

I had a fair entry cake with gumpaste flowers, and an adult lady pulled one right off while I was standing next to her and it. She wanted to see if it was real. Now, it WAS a pretty cake, but I am certainly not at the level of my flowers looking real! I did tell her to NOT BREAK MY CAKE, and she was quite embarrassed because she didn't know I was the baker. I am glad the prizes had already been awarded.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 17

I'd poke that...looks crazy realistic!

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 17

I once had a father-of-the-bride poke his finger in the cake. He didn't think it was cake but styrofoam. unbelievable!

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 17

yes, if had it on a couple occassions. Both times involved me grandpa's birthday parties and some seniors. My cakes are bar far flawless and I was happy I wasn't there it witness those touching. One cake was a baseball cap on top of a 10" and several people tried to pick up the hat. Really? I got to the party late but I had to fix the damage when i got there.
The second one was a couple months ago when i used my edible image printed to make fabric drapes. People kept repeatedly poking it and saying "these aren't real right?" *poke poke* I only witnessed 2 of these and both were cousins and i replied "yes, so stop freaking poking it!!!" The oher ones I just head across the hall or was told about. I tried to stay away from the cake.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 17

I made a groom's cake for my nephew. It was a tractor with a teddy bear driving in a field of corn. He had some pretty rowdy groomsmen in the party and they were picking the cornstalks off the cake and eating them and taking pictures with them. That poor cake went through H#$%.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 17

People are gross and inconsiderate. Why would you touch someone else's food?

You should have put up a sign. "no it's not real so don't touch, do you smell fish?",

Tracey2528 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracey2528 Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 17

When I worked at a bakery we made a display cake for a bridal gown store. They brought it back to us one day because a kid tried to take a bite out of it! There was a chunk of icing missing...and it had been there a few weeks so imagine what that would've tasted like!! Eww

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 17

Unfortunately yes.

People either aren't observant or inconsiderate.

Made a Tiffany Box, and people tried to remove the lid as if it were a real box.
Made a cake with a company logo on the top and people patted it, touched it and generally reacted in shock when they found out it was cake.
Roses don't seem to do well on cakes for whatever reason, they've been plucked from time to time.

I guess I was always taught to look and not touch and old habits die hard for me.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 17

People tend to touch my flowers. I don't think anyone has actually poked one of my cakes, at least not that I know of!

This past weekend I did a cake with a water lily on it that people were touching to see if it was real. Seriously? Where do they think I'm going to get a real water lily...in Colorado?

I once had a cake in a competition and I was in the next room but could see my cake. All I could see was some woman's hand reaching towards my gumpaste roses. I raced in there and it turned out to be my friend! I gave her such a hard time icon_smile.gif.

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 11:30pm
post #12 of 17

YES!!!
I made a beer bucket cake....not the one in my photos. A guy at the party grabbed a sugar beer and pulled right out of the cake before I could get there to stop him. It was both a compliment and a heartache at the same time. It was then that I announced cake cutting time!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 11:54pm
post #13 of 17

It is a compliment (albeit a really thoughtless compliment!) when people poke a cake. I can understand why your fish got poked, they literally couldn't believe anyone could make a cake fish look that real--so they poked it.

I'm not sayin' it's right....... Just that I understand.

Great cake!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 12:05am
post #14 of 17

I made a two tier wedding cake with roses and rose buds on the sides of the cake, and butter cream 'dots/pearls' as a border. I had given it as a gift to the couple who couldn't afford a wedding cake and were going to make it themselves. There was a 3 year old, trying to pick the 'dots' off the cake with his fingers. No one seemed to notice.
The kid couldn't figure out why the 'dots' wouldn't come off in one piece, like a piece of candy.They were butter cream!

I thought it was kind of cute. I kind of appreciated his point of view of the cake. There was this huge desert, the size of him, all wrapped up in yummy sweetness.
I guess it was just too tempting to resist.
I took it as a compliment.
I love kids for their honesty.
The cake is on page 18 of my photos, titled, "The Gift".

Earlval33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Earlval33 Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 4:36pm
post #15 of 17

I made a B**B cake once for a ladys 50th bday...it was a surprise party and when her and her ummm...inebriated hubby walked in he ran to the cake and yelled T*****'s and slammed his face down in em!! I could have died...the birthday gal didn't even get a good look at it!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 17

People don't know. It's human nature, can't blame them. Stupid to us?? Yes! Good grief people, hands OFF! Now what ticks me off, is when you're carrying the cake in, and they want to *help*. Why do I look like I need help? Get out of the way! Again, they're just being humans.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 8:07pm
post #17 of 17

See also: "Careful, this plate is hot!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%