Newbie Question

Decorating By faded_dress Updated 15 Sep 2005 , 4:56am by tcturtleshell

faded_dress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faded_dress Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:24am
post #1 of 10

icon_redface.gif This is going to sound so silly, but I need help converting. Exacly how much (in cups please) is a stick of butter? I have seen that used in so many recipes and I have no idea how much that is! I have never seen them sold around here...

Thanks in advance (and please, try holding your laughter, I'm sensitive icon_razz.gif )

9 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:27am
post #2 of 10

one stick is 1/2 cup. Dont worry we wont laugh at you!!!

LadyCharm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyCharm Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:28am
post #3 of 10

One stick of butter =1/2 cup if you look on the wrapper on the butter stick it breaks the measurements down for you.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 2:45am
post #4 of 10

That is actually an American expression and the rest of us not in the U.S. had to look it up the first time we came across it in a recipe. So you are not alone kiddo!
Hugs Squirrelly

faded_dress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faded_dress Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

That is actually an American expression and the rest of us not in the U.S. had to look it up the first time we came across it in a recipe. So you are not alone kiddo!
Hugs Squirrelly

Aha! Thats what I thought but I wasnt sure. Oh us Canadians, we always have to be different eh? icon_wink.gif

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 10

I asked the same question a while ago too!!! icon_lol.gif

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 10

you can buy quartered pounds of butter in those lovely wax or foil-covered sticks (the wrappers are great for greasing pans) in canada, but you'll pay a premium for them. of course, if you don't want to measure out the half cup (which can be hard when the butter is cold) you can carefully cut your pound-block into 4 quarters. presto: 1/2 cup cold butter. thumbs_up.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 10

..or if you have a scale that measures in ounces...1 stick of butter is equal to 4 oz!

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 10

indeed, MrsMissey, or as we would say in Canadian-ese, "113.5 grams".

actually, 1/4 pound of butter is ever-so-slighty less than 1/2 cup, if your measuring cups are calibrated at a cup equaling 250 millilitres, rather than 226ml. icon_confused.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 4:56am
post #10 of 10

Ya'll do measure different! Thank goodness we do it the easier way icon_smile.gif I wouldn't know where to begin to change from Canadian to US. Or vise versa! Too hard!! That's why I have you guys as friends!! Ya'll can help me!! Heee heee!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%