Substituting Liquids In Scratch Cake Recipies

Baking By littlestruedel Updated 5 Jun 2012 , 7:01pm by littlestruedel

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 4:46am
post #1 of 3

My Pastry instructor told us in class that you could substitue any liquid for the liquid listed in a recipe unless that liquid is buttermilk. So if a recipe calls for milk, you could replace it with fruit juice, coffee, fruit puree etc. But in my head, I keep thinking that if you take milk out of a recipe and replace it with something like juice, you are altering the fat in the recipe and this wouldn't work well.
Does anyone have an opinion on that? I would like to replace the milk in this recipe with peach puree:
Confetti Cakes (Elisa Strauss)
YIELD: three 9 inch rounds (I do 2 if I'm using 3 inch high pans), one half sheet (13x18 inches), 24 cupcakes

INGREDIENTS

2 cups of cake flour
1 3/4 cup + 1 1/2 tsp of AP flour
2 1/4 tsp of baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter
3 cups of granulated sugar
3/4 tsp of salt
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
1 cup of egg whites or pasteurized eggs whites in liquid form
1 1/2 cup cups of milk

2 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 5:48am
post #2 of 3

You are right.

Here'[s what I do with allergies and it works for me. Put some butter in the measuring cup cand then add the puree. Now the fat is replaced.

BUT...

That is not how I do subs. It doesn't mean mine is the only way, but this method works every time. No surprises.

Find a recipe that already has a puree and always use the same recipe for fruit puree recipes.

I have one that is one of my absolute favorite cakes. It's a strawberry cake, but blackberry, peach, or any puree will work. If you would like the recipe, just pm me. It's a real winner of a recipe. Susan

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

You are right.

Here'[s what I do with allergies and it works for me. Put some butter in the measuring cup cand then add the puree. Now the fat is replaced.

BUT...

That is not how I do subs. It doesn't mean mine is the only way, but this method works every time. No surprises.

Find a recipe that already has a puree and always use the same recipe for fruit puree recipes.

I have one that is one of my absolute favorite cakes. It's a strawberry cake, but blackberry, peach, or any puree will work. If you would like the recipe, just pm me. It's a real winner of a recipe. Susan

Thanks Susan, I PM'ed you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%