Doubling Recipes

Decorating By JBNY13 Updated 5 Jun 2012 , 8:21pm by JBNY13

JBNY13 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I have made a few recipes for cupcakes. I only yield about 12-18. Can I double the recipe safely to have more cupcakes? How do bakeries do it?

Thanks for the help!

5 replies
Chellescakes Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 6

I double , triple and quaddruple recipes , you just have to make sure that it is still mixed well. And all quantities of each ingredient are multiplied properly.

MimiFix Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes

I double , triple and quaddruple recipes , you just have to make sure that it is still mixed well. And all quantities of each ingredient are multiplied properly.

Exactly!

scp1127 Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 7:02am
post #4 of 6

Me too.

You may have read on CC about changing the leavening when multiplying recipes. This is for making larger cakes.

MimiFix Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 10:39am
post #5 of 6

Some people swear by changing the leavener proportions when scaling up. But I have never found the need.* All my recipes began as home-sized and were scaled up to large quantity. This question comes up occasionally and posters have opposite opinions. This leads me to believe that recipes have way more tolerance than we believe.

* I'm not a food scientist (and I never played one on TV) but I did own a bakery with a 30- and 40- quart mixer.

JBNY13 Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your help! I am hoping to expand my cupcake catering business and if I get larger orders I need to be able to multiply with no issues. Thanks again!

www.facebook.com/3bearscupcakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%