Posting A Cake ( Fruit)

Baking By oyster Updated 7 Jun 2012 , 3:07pm by oyster

oyster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oyster Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 6

Hi .my cousin is wanting me to do her a celebration cake ( fruit) but she lives in Ireland ( south) and i live in the uk would it be possible to post this it would be iced with sugar paste and i would send special delivery i could send the decs seperate any advice would be appreciated
as ever thanks x

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 6

Discuss the specific details with your local delivery service. Is there a service like Federal Express available locally? Sometimes they are worth the price.

Use a good half cup of royal icing to secure the cake to its board and let that dry completely. The marzipan and sugarpaste will be OK for travel if you completely wrap the cake with bubble wrap so that there is absolutely no open space in the box at all.

The decorations are another matter. I'm sorry that I can;t advise you about shipping things like gumpaste flowers.

oyster Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 6

thankyou bakingirene,.now then could you give me a rough guide on the weight of a 10 inch fruit with icing and marzipan i have nevered weighed any that i have done previousley icon_smile.gif thanks

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 6

The weight depends on whether it is round or square.

You should be able to guesstimate the weight of the cake itself from the weight of your ingredients.

A round 10" takes about 3lb each of marzipan and fondant (give or take...) A square 10" would take 4-5lb each. Worst case you are adding 10lb to the weight of the cake in icing.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 3:38am
post #5 of 6

25cm (10in) square rich Fruitcake - iced 7.3kg [16lb]
Weight when cooked: 5.2kg (11½lb)
Almond paste required: 1kg (2¼lb) approx
Sugarpaste required: 1.1kg (2½lb) approx
http://www.allaboutyou.com/food/recipefinder/making-a-wedding-fruit-cake-23135

oyster Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 6

Thankyou both for your answering i never thought of adding all that together ,i must be having a senior moment , lol thankyou again for your help x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%